Information for Interested GSoC Students

Greetings, @apurva9! Welcome to the Plone community!

We're glad you've chosen to reach out to us for your GSoC experience. You've come to the right place. At the top of this post are a set of links on how best to get started learning about Plone, how it works, and how to develop on it. This site will be your best tool for engaging with members of the community to ask questions, get answers, and find out everything you need to know.

Go ahead and start working through the steps outlined at the top of this post. Reach out as you run into difficulty. We'll be glad to help

Again, Welcome to Plone!

Hello everyone, I am Shray, BITS Pilani sophomore and a GSoC aspirant. I have earlier worked with html, css, java, c. I am further looking forward to work with the Plone community. Can anyone please guide me about how to start.

As @cewing has mentioned, do checkout the steps mentioned in the top of this post. It's has a basic guide to getting to know Plone and starting to contribute to it.

Welcome, @IShrayAgrawal, glad you could join us here in the Plone community. @ajayns is right, get yourself started following the basic guide to learning about what Plone is, what it does, and how to work with it. Then pop over to our ideas page and see if you spot anything that interests you. We are also open to thoughtful proposals for your own ideas, so don't be shy. This community forum is the right place to discuss your ideas and ask your questions, so feel free to post at any time.

Hi everyone!!
I'm Ashray and currently in my first year at Indian institute of Information Technology, Allahabad
aspiring to get selected in GSOC this year.
I have some good experience with python, HTML, CSS, javascript, c and c++
i have spent some days to figure out more about plone and have installed it on my machine and i think i'm ready to start contributing to plone.
but, i came across this in the docs. it says i have to sign the contributor agreement before i start contributing. so, i wanted someone to guide me about this.
Screenshot from 2018-02-18 17-38-10

also it would be very helpful if someone can guide me about how to start contributing

Welcome @ashraysinha6069. You have to sign contributer agreement and send it to agreements@plone.org for contribution into plone core and get your PR's merged. For now You can look for collective plone and find good projects there which may get you going further.

@nileshgulia1 I visited this link

https://collective.github.io/

where it says that i have to open a ticket before i start contributing to collective.
i have done that already but the issue has not been closed yet.
I would be great if you can guide me further.
Thanks.

Please be patient. It requires someone to take action in person to add you to the collective organization. You can still proceed with looking at code, installing Plone, learning how to use it, and learning how to develop with it.

1 Like

Hey Plone Community,

I am Santosh Reddy Nancharla, a graduate student at the University of Cincinnati, USA. I have a good command of frontend technologies. I have built few applications using React, Django, and Webpack. You can find some of my projects in my GitHub. I am interested in working on Create-React-App for Plone-React.

I will try to build a POC for this idea and hopefully contribute to GSOC.

@santosh2201 Welcome.You can get yourself started following the basic guide to learning about what Plone is, what it does, and how to work with it. Learning plone.restapi is a good start following some minor contributions. Plone-react is under development now and most likely to be ready for gsoc in early march(or late feb). You can work on POC as you mentioned and feel free to post a link and discuss here or on GSoC 2018 Ideas: ReactJS

Hello Plone Community

My name is Dhruv Bhatnagar, an under graduate student from New Delhi, India. I'm a React enthusiast with experience in making web apps like NewsApp,WeatherApp , To-Do lists etc. I am interested in working on Create-React-App for Plone React.

I am following the steps mentioned by @nileshgulia1 sir. Also, please guide me how to hone my skills further & do I need to make a POC for Plone React?

@dhruv10 Welcome to Plone.You can get yourself started following the basic guide to learning about what Plone is, what it does, and how to work with it. Learning plone.restapi is a good start following some minor contributions. As mentioned above Plone-react is under development now and most likely to be ready for gsoc in early march(or late feb) after the sprint. You can work on POC as you mentioned and feel free to post a link and discuss here. In future please don't assume that people in this community(or any open source comm.) are sirs :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone,

I'm Arhant Jain, an undergrad from IIIT Hyderabad, India and studying in my sophomore year.
Being a programming enthusiast, I'm highly Impressed by the CMS and Security of the Plone.

Therefore, I want to be a part of this and thus get started contributing 

to Plone as well as I will be applying for GSoC this year.

Currently, I'm going through the documentation of the Plone and getting 

familiar, so that I can start working on some Project Idea.

Any further suggestion and guidance would be really appreciable.

Thanks

@arhant The topmost post in this discussion has the basic guide and details to get started with Plone, how it works and so on. There are other discussions in the community itself for each of the project proposals for GSoC, you can go through them as well if you've decided what you're interested in!

1 Like

Hi. I am Dipak Agrawal, 2nd year student of BITS Pilani, India. My skill set includes HTML, CSS, JS, Python, C++. I have gone through the above links by @cewing and I am very much interested in contributing for Plone through GSOC or otherwise.
Hope to have a great interaction with the community.

2 Likes

Welcome @DipakDA @Arhant and @santosh2201 !

Thank you, @ajayns and @nileshgulia1 for welcoming new GSoC aspirants :smile:

2 Likes

@ajayns Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @tkimnguyen

4 posts were split to a new topic: Help trying to install Plone with vagrant on my Ubuntu 16.04

Thanks to all of you for helping each-other out in my absence. I've been dealing with a personal issue for a bit. I am so gratified to see incoming students for GSoC already acting as members of the Plone community and helping each-other out. You all clearly have the spirit!

So anyway, a delayed welcome from me as well to you who are new to us, @Arhant, @DipakDA, and @santosh2201. We are so glad you've chosen to try us out for your GSoC experience.

3 Likes