What to do for gsoc 2018

@newbazz, no worries about pinging frequently. It's just that it's the weekend and probably most folks in the community are spending time away from their keyboards :slight_smile:

As for being a part of our "organization", you have spoken up here and started talking to other Plone users and developers. That's pretty much the only credentials we have or need. You are as much a part of the Plone community as any of us. To answer your earlier question about mentors being selected, we are not participating in the Google Code-In. We do, however, participate every year in the Summer of Code. We are in the process of working on ideas for this year's GSoC. You can find the ideas that have been proposed by other members of the Plone family here on this site. They all have "GSoC 2018 Ideas" in the title and are tagged with "gsoc", "brainstorm" and "discussion". Read through a few of those posts, develop and share your opinions. The more you speak up, the more you are one of us :slight_smile:

Are there a list of gsoc projects on which i can strt thinking and working on.

Finalized list of GSoC Projects?
Not yet. You will see it by the end of February.
There are a few projects which need much discussion before finalizing..
As @cewing already pointed that out

We will have a finalized list in a month or so @newbazz. Late January is the deadline for GSoC organizations to apply to the program, and we will have a list finalized before that. Keep your eyes on our plone.org GSoC webpage for the new list of ideas. It will appear there when we are ready to go.

In the meantime, do not hesitate to express opinions about any of the brainstorming posts we are actively discussing. Your input can be a valuable addition to our discussion, and will help you to become more aware of the way the Plone community works.

Hey do I get started with this? Are there any issues I can resolve or I'll have to setup repos myself?

There are two approaches to the Plone theme issue:

1. Designing a theme from scratch
  2. Porting an existing HTML template

Ideally the right candidate is someone with a good deal of knowledge on the frontend side of things. The type of person who is studying at university after doing some other graphics/computer career. Perhaps having more experience than solely "leaning" on a framework like bootstrap/foundation/materialize. In other words, starting the project with more than a year of design experience is a huge advantage.

I don't know if 2 - 3 months is enough time to learn design skills and implement enough and deliver a reasonable theme. I've outlined what I think are the requirements for a minimum theme in a previous post (see: Defining a Minimum Viable Plone Theme Standard (A proposal))

What you'll need to learn

Regardless of which approach you take you'll need to learn:

• Diazo and probably a bit of XSLT (there are enough examples now in the wild, plus a mentor could help to curate the ones)
  • What is needed for a complete theme (see link minimum viable Plone theme mentioned above)

Preferred Previous Experience

Depending on which approach I think it would be preferable if you know the following BEFORE the start of GSoC in April/May.

Designing a Theme from Scratch: What you need to know

Designing a Plone theme from scratch requires the following prerequisites:

1. You already have strong frontend (CSS/HTML/JS) skills and are up to date with principles of responsive design
  2. You have a strong understanding of both the elements and principles of design
  3. Basic (not super) coding skill, enough to help yourself

Porting an existing HTML template: What you need to know

If you're porting a theme you still need to have a good understanding of frontend skills but you'll probably be able to get away with less design experience.

1 Like