What to do for gsoc 2018

Hi sir I went through the plone documentation. Now hat is the next I should do for heading towards gsoc 2018.

What are you interested in working on?

Have you read through this list of suggestions? How to start contributing to Plone

What am i interested in working as in the project for gsoc? yes i went through the list of suggestions.

I meant what aspects of Plone or web content management or application development are you interested in?

I like working with the design as well as working with the backend stuff. I am not too much interested in the front-end but have knowledge about react and angular a bit.

Welcome to the Plone community, @newbazz. We are currently working on brainstorming ideas for the coming GSoC. We have a form you can fill out with your own idea, if you like. In general, you'll have a better sense of what kinds of work might need to be done (or what might help you) if you try to become a user of Plone. Set up a website with it. As you do, sketch out a list of things that are painful or difficult, things that confuse you or surprise you. Those things are generally good candidates for GSoC project ideas. Helping to make using Plone easier for everyone by fixing problems you find is a great way to get started.

If you want to dig in to learning the Plone code base, the page that @tkimnguyen linked above has pointers to our issue tracker. Picking up a "starter" issue and working on it can be a great way to get started. You'll need to ask questions, and that will help introduce you to the larger community. We notice who is working on Plone and engaging with the community, and that definitely plays a part in our choice of GSoC students.

Good luck, and let us know as you have more questions.

1 Like

If you enjoy design, there is a need for more Plone themes. In 2016 one of our GSoC students created these great themes, but we could use more.

Clean Blog
Spot
Booster
Business Casual
Future Imperfect

Sir any project related to we development in which i can help with backend? And one last question Are there any specific amount of issues I need to solve for GSOC?

What i am thinking is firstly i want to add a linter in plone which will take care of the coding style.

Which code are you referring to?

You will have to at least install Plone and it would help if you went through the Mastering Plone training materials at Mastering Plone 6 Development — Plone Training 2022 2022 documentation

No, but what we will ultimately looking for in GSoC students is not just what you do or the number of issues fixed but how you learn, how you solve problems, and how you engage with the community.

The code i am refering to is the https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone . There is a linter named coala which i just applied in one of my projects. And about mastering the plone, yes i am going to start figuring what plone does in my upcoming vacations starting from 29th November, so presently am just listing things i need to do for gsoc.

Plone is a complex piece of code made of hundreds of Python packages and we already have some linters in place.

Plone code is also very old (parts of it are 20 years old) and we have some modernization work happening right now in order to support Python 2 and Python 3.

personally I don't see a value on adding coala to the equation, but I might be wrong.

welcome to the Plone community.

Thank you for the tip, that looks rather useful. I've been struggling to find some unified wrappering for various Python QA tools and more of the modern QA stack and have been putting off either making more pyflakes plugins or more pylama plugins (as they combinedly cover everything I'd like, but both miss a few).

https://coala.io/#/languages

Coala seems to wrap everything I currently want, will experiment with it.

Always nice to have new ideas spring up from new people.

so, you mean this could somehow replace plone.recipe.codeanalysis?

I primarily mean for me personally and in general for us at 4teamwork as this has editor integrations available and wraps all the relevant (for us) things and seems to have a clear vision and some steam (at least initial enthusiasm) in going ahead.

For Plone this could be experimented with for any Python 3 branches or Python 3 ready packages. And I do not (most likely) mean to ultimately replace anything with coala, but to wrap it into the existing toolchains. The main value it provides is a unified interface for various tools (like pylama or pyflakes would as well, should they have an actively maintained and functional plugin for all the tools).

At this point I'm merely happy to see something new has popped up which addresses some of the Python QA stack gripes I've had for a while and I was fretting I'd potentially have to go out of my way to implement myself.

1 Like

Yeah i can give a try if everyone wants it.

You currently, for the most part, cannot, as the QA tooling at large is still firmly on Python 2.

I recommend going through the issues of various Plone packages with appropriate tags and making a pull request.

There are currently 11 pages of packages on github with open issues on many - try to find something which seems approachable and is labeled with the label 41 lvl: easy.

So, everyone: beginner friendly issue suggestions welcome.

Yeah I am going to start solving issues from next week (as i have exams going on this week :stuck_out_tongue: ) till then i wanted to have a clear idea to what approach to follow to aim gsoc 2018.

Hey as my exams are over today, what is first thing i sud do as the first step towards GSOC?