Attending: Rikupekka, Sally, William, Fulvio, Norbert, Erico
This meeting was mainly focused on a discussion about Plone.org renewal and improvements one way or the other.
- Beethoven Sprint news item ready to review and publish: https://plone.org/news/2020/great-progress-on-volto-at-the-2020-beethoven-sprint
- Plone 2,3,4,5 pages on What Is Plone section - ready to review
- Contacted Massimo and Stefano about if RedTurtle could donate some
design effort to plone.org
- Discussion of plone.org add-ons section
- Why we are here: Plone.org AND plone.com -renewal is vital(?)
- Everyone's thoughts on the topic
- Goal/scope - important to aim high enough but achievable
- Content - what content the users most need/want
- Technology (didn't get this far)
- Resources, identify people (didn't get this far)
- Roadmap - short timeframe and long run
- Action items - what next, and who
Everyone's thoughts on p.org/.com:
- Two sites vs. one
- Needs work for sure, no strong ideas whether to separate two sites
- No strong opinion about separate vs. together
- No strong opinions but leans toward reuniting with plone.org
- p.com: don't think should be separate
- The community does not have bandwidth for 2 sites
- Google does not like 2 separate sites
- Likes the separation between .org and .com
- Difficult to maintain as is - should be on the same platform
- .com as a subsite themed differently?
- p.org: needs a style and content refresh desperately - short term project
- Think something like this could/should be homepage of p.org, that's
part of a bigger redesign project
- Would like to ultimately see a website that can promote all the pieces we have, sort of like different sites
- Remember foundation and community also includes Zope, Gullotina, should be visible
- We need to address the brand issue, hardest problem
Discussion on the agenda
- We are sort of in the same position as Apache - some think of the old web server, but it's much more than that these days.
- We need a site about the Foundation and all it does, like the Apache Foundation site
- Brochureware site less useful for decision-makers than a PDF brochure?
- We do have a fancy modern cms -> that should host the website (not static plone.com) and BE the brochure itself.
cms.plone.org could be a Gatsby site pulling the brochureware content
from the main site
- Having many sites is not a bad idea given that we have so many things going on
- Note: Drupal and Concrete5 sites similarly point to subsites for different
- Common top nav/menubar as unifying element for all the different "properties"
- What are the audiences for the site, what do they need?
- community - what's happening
- developers - docs, training, downloads, add-ons, how to get started
- decision-makers - like plone.com
- If the website looks modern and slick and pretty people think it's good - we have to make the site look good
plone.org is on an old beta version of 5.1! With a complicated diazo
theme based on Barceloneta - do we want to keep going with that or ditch it
- Use some CSS hacks to make at least certain pages look better? And better yet, improve the overall styling for the whole site
- The less file that is normally part of Barceloneta would hopefully be a starting point
Short term plan
- Fix p.org content issues
- Experiment with p.org styling improvements
- Look at other CMS's websites and look for ideas
Long term ideas
- Use Volto to make a new plone.com site
- Shoot for plone 6/volto plone.org within one year
- But don't jump on plone 6 too soon, could get stuck on a beta again
- Content migration, new theme, everything - large task, needs details
- Need to fix some things as soon as possible
- Need to target 1 year timeframe to rebuild p.org/volto etc.
- Could use the same headless backend to support subsites that use different
themes and technologies - volto, gatsby, classic
- Could be added gradually?
- Who will help? Need to reach out for the community when we have a more detailed plan.
Next meeting: August 6th, 2020
If you're interested in helping this team, please contact @rioksane