Ideas for GSoC 2024

Interestingly, if I run it in the registry folder instead, it's able to build it but refuses to do so at the root.

run above command from root('/volto') folder not registry('/volto/packages/registry') ;
"pnpm install"
"pnpm start"
it should work fine

I tried these commands at the root, but I'm still having the same problem. I do have pnpm installed, but I think the issue is with parcel.

You are not able to send the links! How's this possible? If there's any new update regarding this then I am not aware of this. Ok np. Are you running those commands in the cloned repo wsl terminal?
If so then open the wsl terminal (not in any repo*s terminal) , run it as an administrator.
And then follow the instructions as said in the documentation of volto .

1 Like

Hi @ebrehault, I valued the way you've been providing answers to the peoples' queries all along, it makes a lot of things fully clear to us that have those questions in mind to ask as well, kudos to you.

I'm Abdrahman Oladimeji by name, a front-end developer from Nigeria with a major focus on ReactJS and its related frameworks, I'm very glad I get to be part of this community as I look forward to adding my valuable contributions.

But then I'd like to get a final clarification as opposed to the guideline that says: Don't create issues, pull requests, or comments in GitHub as I can see that they want to prevent PRs that do not follow the contributing guideline, but a case study of someone that has a bit of experience in contributing to OS projects and can follow the contributing guidelines, it's safe to contribute to the ideas that have already been defined right?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Regards,
Abdrahman

Hi @ahalim000, the case of not being able to post links here is not like that here actually
Here's a Test link that I wrote to check for that, or are you sure you are doing that the right way possibly by clicking the chain icon in your text editor or better still, you can write your link by yourself if you know about Markdown otherwise, you can check: Basic Syntax | Markdown Guide

So I found a workaround to the issue I was having. I created a Linux virtual machine, followed the same instructions to set up my development environment as before, and voila, I have both the backend and frontend up and running! The problem that I was running into before at the parcel build step seems to be specific to WSL.

Thanks for the suggestion, @rahmlad. Unfortunately, even when I follow the Markdown syntax for creating links, I still get a message saying "An error occurred: Sorry, you can't include links in your posts." It even looks correct in the preview, and I can use the syntax to create fake hyperlinks, but it doesn't work with real urls.

Nicee, good to hear that you've been able to resolve the issue, concerning the link issue, I guess an admin or someone will have something to say about it...

Hello everyone, i'm getting this error while trying to install plone, i've reached the final stage where the make command is used to install the codebase. Please has anyone faced such blocker? how were you able to resolve it? @ebrehault @zopyx

Most probably it is because you haven't installed the setup tools properly, kindly try once installing them again. Hope so you have created a venv for this, and then working on it. If not then make sure to this.

Set up backend using docker, it would be more easy for u

I wanted to say that too

Additionally, you might want to check this out:

it was shared by one of the admins not long ago, you can also find it useful as a developer.

I guess you are using Python 3.12. You can refer the discussion Error while running "make install" command - #5 by stevepiercy.

Hello mentors, administrators, and org members,

After thoroughly reviewing the GSoC project ideas, I've found the implementation of an RSS feed particularly intriguing and well-suited to my skills. I've prepared a proof of concept and outlined my approach for this implementation. Could you please direct me to the appropriate contact person or mentor for further discussion and guidance on this project?

Thank you.

Tanya Kumari

@stevepiercy @zopyx @ebrehault @MrTango @djay

2 Likes

IMPORTANT: To GSoC candidates: one of the projects has been slightly redefined.

If you had interest in the project about RSS support in Plone 6, be aware the feature is unchanged but it has been moved from frontend (Volto) to backend. Hence the required skills are Python and backend, and not React anymore.

2 Likes

IMPORTANT (again :smile:)

Finally, we have a mentor who is experienced with Volto, so the RSS feed project is restored into its original scope (covering both frontend and backend aspects).

4 Likes