Ideas for GSoC 2024

Thanks for the reply @ebrehault. Your point is very true, but I think the plone/volto Link codebase is currently using both Js and Ts files :sweat_smile:

One thing that can be done is it to completely migrate the Plone Volto project to Typescript and later on we can think of migrating the codebases (Plone.org etc... ) based on it to Typescript.

Also while getting through the last commits I observed that these new ts files were converted by @sneridagh one month before.

Would love to know more about this enhancement from you.

Oh :slight_smile:
Cool, I was not aware of this initiative!

Well, in that case, you might push for your proposal to migrate plone.org to TypeScript, try to see if one of people currently in charge of this code is willing to be a mentor for such a project.

Eric

Thank you so much, can you pls. share details about where to push my proposal and who will be mentoring the project. I want to discuss more things about the migration that's why

Hi @ebrehault I want to know about the previous year gsoc project Add WebAuthn 2 support for Plone can you tell me where I can find its implementation in plone environment and know more about it. I have worked in that field and want to know contribute here if there in still any scope of improvement

Please report Classic UI bugs in GitHub - plone/Products.CMFPlone: The core of the Plone content management system.

According the typescript policy in core (see volto/docs/source/contributing/typescript.md at main · plone/volto · GitHub), I feel like there is no global willing to migrate to TypeScript for now.
Moreover the people maintaining the codebase of plone.org are very busy with many other responsibilities in the community, and TypeScript is not the highest priority.

So I would not encourage you to push for the idea you proposed.

But we will soon publish a list of GSoC projects, and many of them will be frontend-oriented so I am sure you will find one interesting for you.

I do not suggest this tactic, as it is premature and could irritate potential mentors. I don't think any potential GSoC mentor wants to have newcomers push anything toward them. Plone mentors will propose the ideas they want GSoC applicants to apply for. On top of that, Plone has not yet been selected by Google to participate.

2 Likes

Well, as far as I remember, the WebAuthn2 implementation happened to be a dead-end (not because of the student working on it, but because of the way Plone core manages authentication).
The mentor concluded it was not possible, and we will not continue our efforts on this.

I would like to know if it is possible to migrate Volto to ReactPy. If so, I would propose it as a GSoC project.

Hi!
I do not think we want that.
Our current approach is to develop the backend with Python and the frontend with React.
Using Python for the frontend is not really in our roadmap.

That is the reason why. Using Python is in our roadmap. The choice for Zope/Plone is because of Python, not because of ReactJS. Python is our preferred language. Our policy is to use Python unless there is no option. Reading between the lines, I gather that it's possible if you incorporate it into a roadmap.

For all the gsoc aspirants I would suggest wait for organisation announcements from Google. Org admins will eventually release project ideas "in detail" after Plone gets selected for the programme.

1 Like

What are the chances for Plone for getting selected ?

I don't know what evaluation criteria Google uses to make their org selections. Maybe you can find something here How it Works | Google Summer of Code

1 Like

Ok

Have you noticed we can add night mode and use best practices for accessibility index. All we can do some user interface changes to utilize the overall empty space in plone. Also I would appreciate that we can also look to improve the overall speed of website.

Just Curious. Does Plone have a darkmode UI? Woould gladly work on that

I see your point.

And I understand ReactPy can be interesting for a Python developer who wants to do a bit of frontend.
But if we want to run a real long-lasting and maintainable frontend project (like Volto), I think it is wiser to follow the frontend best practices.

By allowing to develop frontend in Python, ReactPy would make Volto very special in the frontend world and far away from its existing practices, and that's always a liability (like: it would be more difficult to get answers on StackOverflow, it would make more difficult to recruit frontend developers, etc.).

Ultimately, I guess the question is more: do we consider ourselves as Python developers maintaining a frontend project, or do we embrase the fact that Plone is made of both backend and frontend.

Note: That's just my opinion, and to be clear, I am (mostly) a frontend but I am not involved in Volto (and React is not my favorite frontend framework).

Nevertheless, I am curious: did you try ReactPy on large projects? How was it?

The Classic UI does thru Bootstrap. If the Volto UI does i don't know.

I do not think it does. That could be nice, but I am afraid it might be too small for GSoC project, no?