How Many People are Using Zope External Editor

I think Zope EE is an "unloved" product. It takes some time to understand; however, I find it does move Plone towards a place where small/medium size organziations can manage their files.

I have put a lot of time into understanding Zope EE (glad to forward my documentation to anyone interested).

How many other people are using Zope EE and what are your experiences?

I'd love to get more users and site admin chatter on this community board.

Like the feature, but haven't used it for some while because of the uncertain state
Peter

I used it a lot but once the Mac executable stopped working with the Intel CPU change I couldn't find an equivalent.

Sorry for chiming in late, but if you do have some documentation regarding it, please, pretty please, do not wait for others to ask you, put it somewhere and advertise it, a pull request to docs.plone.org? On a personal repo of yours? If it's available somewhere it will be indexed by search engines, thus far more easier than finding this message from you, then trying to find how to contact you and finally getting that documentation.

Hi, I've posted to drop box.

if you have a better way to share with Plone community, please feel free to distribute

2 Likes

EE is one of those products with work great on one system but fail greatly on a different one.
We evaluated lately intensively for the integration with XML Director (www.xml-director.info) in order
to attach external editors like Oxygen or Edit-X with Plone for the purpose of XML editing and especially
on Windows 8.0//8,1 we've seen various odd behavior with makes EE practically useless for a reasonable
production deployment - even as optional component that could be considered for users at their own risk.

-aj

Thanks for your input. My experience with EE has been limited to XP and Win7 and using it to edit Word (or OO) documents. I've had very good experience; however, I've avoid Win8 so don't know what that is about.
I realize I may be in a minority to be passionate about using Plone with webDAV and Word (or OO); however, I believe that with the right product, Plone is a good DMS for a small organization.
WebDAV is critical for DMS to ensure only one version of doc .
Anyone have thoughts on improving EE or a better solutions?

The WebDAV implementation of Zope has been notoriously bad since the beginning - in combination with flaky client-side implementations as we have seen it in Windows XP and MacOS -> mess.

The only reasonable solution for getting rid of these problems are either custom fixes (we have seen many customers with WebDAV fixes which often did not make it back into the Zope core ) or using proxy solutions like WebDrive or Expandrive which iron out most of the WebDAV issues.

Comparable services like Alfresco offer rock solid WebDAV implementation. We evaluated a lot of related tools like Alfresco, BaseX, Exist-DB, Owncloud etc...they all have minor issues but in general they are much more solid than WebDAV in Zope/Plone...my fear is that is going to continue until the death of Zope 2.

-aj

@rileydog Which External Editor product you are using? (I recall there being multiple implementations.) We added some dexterity support for some of them, but it got probably lost in nobody maintaining that particular product.

@zopyx Has anyone collected all the WebDAV issues in Zope2 / Plone anywhere? Just interested, how much of them are configuration issues, issues caused by add-ons, general regression or hopeless design errors.

... also think we should collect these issues and maybe set it up as "sponsored (cleanup) task" as discussed at PLOG 2015.

1 Like

@zopyx do you know, if the zope.app.dav and z3c.dav implementations are better than those in Zope2? Maybe there is a chance to reuse them.

WebDAV (and formerly FTP, when it was still cool) can be so called "Killer Features", and the hierachical content tree of Plone supports filesystem like access also very nicely. Thus, I'd support the idea of funding development to improve the WebDAV support and add CalDAV and CardDAV (and whatever dav's are out there) support.

1 Like

Sorry but I can not recall details from around 2001/2002 when I worked for Zope Corp on these topics.
I could be wrong but I think we had some WebDAV fixes in our "Haufe Zope" by DM which did not made it back into the Zope core. I know of customer specific fixes from some customers but no information about the details and problems. I think a bunch of issues were related to locking.

There is an official WebDAV test suite "litmus" that could be used for compatibility checks but I have not seen any server passing this suite completely...so there is difference between standard and real world implementations.

-aj

@datakurre I have collective.externaleditor default 1.0.1

I contacted the maintainer ( Thierry from ATreal ) and he told me this:
collective.externaleditor and Products.ExternalEditor are 2 different products. Actually collective.externaleditor relies on Products.ExternalEditor V1.1.0 in order to provide the best Plone integration. You may try the version 1.0.0 of xcollective.externaleditor.

@zopyx in the document I put up on DropBox, there are my tests implementing EE; however, this is with Win XP.

This is a very nice document. I wonder where it should be integrated into Plone or Zope documentation or somehow placed online where others could contribute to it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, adding it as a repository on collective organization on github it would make it a bit more attractive and prominent to others.

If you don't have access on collective, request it and on the meantime just add in on your github account and we can later fork it.

Sorry, but as a non-techie who has occasionally tried to do 'simple' tasks like this, it takes too many brain cycles. If anyone would like to post this document, please feel free.

Perhaps @svx could let us know where this document could be integrated into docs.plone.org (or where else we should put it).

Hi,
I personnaly use the last version of ZopeEdit on both Linux and a windows 8 - 64 desktop without any issue. There are howether sommetime issues with some windows desktops when an anti-virus or a local firewall blocks zopeedit.exe : it has to get a direct access to the Zope/Plone server in http(s) in order to be able to lock/unlock/push back the file. I noticed several forks that include new features but didn't get any recent pull request.
Best regards,
Thierry.

EE is one of those products with work great on one system but fail greatly
on a different one.
We evaluated lately intensively for the integration with XML Director (
www.xml-director.info) in order
to attach external editors like Oxygen or Edit-X with Plone for the purpose
of XML editing and especially
on Windows 8.0//8,1 we've seen various odd behavior with makes EE
practically useless for a reasonable
production deployment - even as optional component that could be considered
for users at their own risk.

I like the feature but have not used it so far. How do you like it?