Download links version 5.2.3

Hi,

Bitnami Developer here. We have noticed that on your download page there are no download links for the latest version 5.2.3. On the page you say: "Installers are being made, so not all links below will work yet." Is this the case for this version, or are the links not available due to an error?

Thanks,
Michiel

1 Like

Hi @Michiel,
due to problems with getting our well-aged UnifiedInstaller to Python 3 there is no release yet.
We're at it, but it needs some time consuming overhaul.
Since the UnifiedInstaller is mostly used by new users to try Plone and there are other installation options for robust deploments, I wonder if we can support you to use a different option to install Plone?
May you elaborate whats needed to make Plone fly on Bitnami?

@jensens, I do believe @Michiel is the person responsible for packaging Plone for Bitnami, so he depends on the Unified Installer to do his job. Am I correct?

Hi @jensens and @ericof ,

The issue is mainly that we track the releases page for any version updates. Our script was expecting a download link for the unified installer of the new version, and it couldn't find one. I was wondering if it was a one time error that the download link wasn't available on the page but if it's part of your workflow we can just adapt our script to deal with that situation.

Regards,
Michiel

These days is the 2020 Online Plone Conference and afterwards we have development sprint, one topic is the Installer. I hope we can get it ready. I'll take care and follow up here with new information.

One question: How do you use the installer? Are you using a system Python or the manual-generic-by-installer Python? We are thinking about dropping Python install support in the installer. It is a source of problems to get it right across systems. OTOH today there are well supported methods to install Python 3.6+ in a system before calling the installer, so I wonder if this is needed.

I use the installer only for zeo production setups, its faster for me, with a dropped Python install support can i live.

1 Like

Hi @jensens,

In our case it's not needed as we compile our own components.

Best regards,
Michiel

2 Likes

Hi @Michiel ... it’s cool to meet the person behind these (famous) images!

We sprinted last weekend to get further on the 5.2.3 unified installer update. I will keep working on it this weekend. It is almost ready for Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and for macOS.

I should point out that we have been discussing ways of removing the use of buildout in the installer, e.g. going to a pip install plone model.

2 Likes

I made a custom working installation script that I use to provision a VM or a remote server (via ssh). It uses the official installer, and I'd like to know how to adapt my script so it can use "pip install" instead.

Hi @tkimnguyen,

Thanks, fortunately there is a whole team behind the effort. :slightly_smiling_face:

That's great, thanks a ton.

That won't be a problem.

Regards,
Michiel

Hi @tkimnguyen,

Do you have any updates on when version 5.1.3 will be available for download?

Regards,
Michiel

Hi @jensens,

Do you have any updates on when the link to version 5.2.3 will be available on the download page?

Best regards,
Michiel

1 Like

Hi @tkimnguyen,

Could you please give an update on when the 5.2.3 installer will be available? In addition, is there any official documentation for following the pip install plone approach you mentioned?

Regards,
Michiel

First, I would go with the installer first. pip install Plone is experimental for 5.2.x. It will be the official way for Plone 6.

The installer is still in the works. Last week we sprinted on this topic and we got it working for Linux(Unix) and MacOS, just the Windows installer is not ready. Since this is one tar-file at the end, we still have no official release here. I am pretty confident we get an working installer ready later this week.

Ok thanks for the update.

Update: We will probably skip 5.2.3 and go for 5.2.4 with working Installer. @mauritsvanrees told us he prepares the release anyway. Yesterday evening I installed VM with Windows and fixed issues in the Installer and a Windows related issue in plone.recipe.zope2instance (needs merge and release). Overall it seems to work on Windows with this fix - all blockers eliminated.

The blocker is the installer itself or the windows installer? The Linux one can be released before the other ones, for every future version of Plone?

The Installer is one for all. I added Github Actions to test all 3 platforms. In future this wont happen for the 5.x series and for Plone 6 there will be a new installation story.

Hi @jensens,

Do you have any updates on the next release?

Regards,
Michiel