#June 8th, 2017 : Some convenient tweaks, additions, and fixes; documentation progress
Plone Installer Project Wiki
##Moving some Windows functionality over to PowerShell
In previous versions I’ve used Python’s platform package to gather info about the machine I was running on. As it turns out, this is unreliable to the extent that it suddenly started telling me my Windows 10 machine was running an outdated Windows 8. I’ve started calling out to a PowerShell script to gather that information into a convenient spot in the PloneInstaller registry entry instead.
##Python version confusion
A couple of the python packages being used (e.g. winreg, tkinter) have different names and structure depending on what version of Python you are running. I have a couple machines I’ve been developing this project on and I’m realizing I might not be as consistent as I should be right now. I played around in a couple versions of Python and squared things away again. The project is currently building on Python 3.5.0.
##Changed the name in Windows registry entry
Changed to PloneInstaller (from Plone), in case Plone wants to use its own name in the registry before installation is complete at any point in time.
##Added the timeout parameter to wait_for_status_change() function
Now, if there is no status update in the registry after calling out to PowerShell for example, we escape after timeout and handle it as an error. For now I put some estimates in for timeout ranges but we can fine tune them.
Restore your Windows 10 machine to a clean state after a test run.
##More documentation and wiki
- Created build-debugging-suggestions in the docs; a place to note solutions for common build problems in terms of their system indicators.
- Also added markdown and HTML docs for build.ps1, installChocolatey.ps1, Chocolatey, PyInstaller, WSL, and winreg. Updated the existing docs.
- Now to convert to reStructedText as soon as possible per Kim’s suggestion. Will follow these guidelines
##Setting up an infrastructure for campaign, social media, etc.
At the beginning of this week I moved the project updates to the wiki section of the GitHub repo. I created a twitter account and introduced the project to some personal space. Thank you for checking out the campaign on Crowdspire
Suddenly started sometimes getting “Fatal Error! Failed to execute script WinPloneInstaller” when clicking on the executable output from PyInstaller. Never seen this one before...I’m not sure what I changed that might cause this but I’m confident I’ll figure it out before next post. The usual fun, no worries yet!