Volto 4 released
Dear Plone Community,
Today Volto 4.0.0 has been released. After a 9 month period of alpha stage, it’s been nurtured from the outcome of last year Beethoven sprint, the Plone Conference sprints, discussions and feedback, and at least two more sprints until this release has finally shipped. It hasn’t been easy, since it’s the one that marks the transition to maturity of Volto. Reaching here implied to introduce a number of breaking changes that we wanted to keep away from early adopters to prevent hurting the stability of current projects and already deployed production sites.
Volto 4 is ready for prime time now and for all the community to enjoy. A lot of effort has been put on the approachability and the developer experience so the learning curve to learn Volto remains low and developing on it is a delightful experience.
These are a few of the new features:
- Improved Pastanaga Editor
- New Pastanaga Editor sidebar
- New mobile first toolbar
- Developing blocks experience simplified
- New Object Browser
- Listing, ToC, Lead Image blocks
- Improved existing blocks (Image, Video, Maps)
- New blocks chooser and future proof blocks definitions
- Definition of default Blocks per content type
- Body classes like Plone ones hinting content types, section and current view
- New message system
- React hooks support
- Several internal libraries updated, including Redux, Router ones that support hooks as well
- New locales (es, it, ja, pt, pt_BR)
- Tons of bug fixes
You can see the full changelog here: https://github.com/plone/volto/releases
Despite all the new features and bug fixing it is in constant evolution process, Volto 5 is already planned to happen soon, and it will include exciting new features like code splitting, a brand new date widget, and the ability to split public and CMS styling to name a few.
If you want to try it and test it now, you have these resources available:
Developer documentation: https://docs.voltocms.com/
Github repo: https://github.com/plone/volto/
Demo site: https://volto.kitconcept.com/
Quick start: https://github.com/plone/volto/#quick-start
Volto is being done from the Plone Community to the Plone Community. We, the community, are the only ones who can make it a reality. Hopefully, with the help of everybody we will make it so.
Thanks to everybody!