Updating dexterity content with non-default "default view" (i.e. having a "layout" property)

Hi all,

I have some folderish dexterity content where the default view was changed

e.g. /profiles/types/my_custom_type.xml contains

<property name="default_view">my_new_and_improved_view</property>
  <property name="view_methods">
    <element value="my_new_and_improved_view" />
    <element value="my_custom_view" /> <!-- obsolete -->
    <element value="view" />
  </property>

Updating the default_view property to my new template and registering it zcml generally causes the new view to be used. Except in a few content objects where the default view was manually set to another value by users and then reversed back to "my_custom_view". In the affected content, I found a property "layout" in the ZMI with this value.

Lazily and naively, I hoped that setting

<property name="default_view_fallback">True</property>

would fall back to the view set as a default_view. No such luck. After googling for "default_view_fallback" I am under the impression (please correct me if wrong) that https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFDynamicViewFTI/blob/master/Products/CMFDynamicViewFTI/fti.py#L193 is responsible for getting the default view for my content but because plone_utils exists, the default_view_fallback check is never reached.

Do I have any options other than writing an upgrade step which checks my content for and removes this creatively named "layout" property? Did I miss some documentation somewhere?

Handling dynamic View is here in the docs. I would do this: iterate over all of your CT Objects and set the Layout via:

obj.setLayout("my_new_and_improved_view")

There is also a

<property name="immediate_view"> 

… not sure if that can be of any help

I think this is only the property for the view wich directly after you the content is added

Either this, or delete the layout attribute.

1 Like

Thanks for the documentation link, am going to delete that attribute.

-N