Universities Using Plone

I need to compile a list of all (or as close as possible to all) of the universities located in the U.S. that use Plone as their CMS. I have a brief list, but if anyone could list some more, that would be great. So far my list is as follows:

• Yale University
  • Harvard University
  • University of California - Los Angeles (UCLA)
  • University of California - Davis (UCD)
  • University of Notre Dame
  • University of Virginia
  • University of North Carolina
  • University of Louisville
  • MIT Media Lab
  • University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh (UW-O)
  • Pennsylvania State University (PSU)

I heard that Harvard has switched away. Is that correct? Are there others that have switched away? Does anyone have any other U.S. universities to add?

If anyone can come up with some universities that strictly use Plone for an intranet, that would be great, too. I know Oshkosh has many departments using Plone for their intranets as well as a campus-wide one.

Thanks everyone.

Plone used at large scale in Germany:
University of Marburg
University of Giessen
TU Dresden
Humboldt University Berlin
Universität Koblenz-Landau
Universität Bonn
University of Karlsruhe

...any many more Plone installations at other universities.

Does it matter how they use Plone, or is it just enough that a certain department uses it?

http://www.seas.harvard.edu used to be a Plone site, it is not anymore.

We've also worked with:

• Purdue
  • University of North Carolina
  • University of Colorado at Boulder
  • Duke
  • Nazareth College
  • NYU
  • Cincinnati State

Thank you! I'm looking strictly for U.S. universities. Your information did help me, though. I am adding some to a separate list of worldwide universities.

I'm looking mostly for entire Unis that use Plone, but individual departments will help, too. Thank you.

Apart from that: what means "university XXX is using Plone"?...every university has likely somewhere some one running. universities have dozens and more institutes..such a listing only makes sense and is only valid and only honest if you list universities running Plone at a certain scale e.g. for their main site.

-aj

Thanks @zopyx - I pointed out the same to Erich. Unfortunately the institution in question wants to hear only about other US universities :confused: - apparently Canadians don't count either :wink:

@Erichm you can add MIT Media Lab. I also ran into a bird lab at Cornell a while back.

Makes me think we really ought to include an optional (opt out?) "phone home" feature that asks if the site owner would be ok helping out the Plone Foundation by letting us know some non-confidential usage stats like number of sites running, which versions, etc.

York College / The City University of New York
Hunter College / The City University of New York
Zicklin School of Business / Baruch College / The City University of New York

Universidad de Carabobo, Venezuela, for its sysadmin web service.

@Erichm it might be even more helpful in some cases to list how many Plone sites each university has. UW Oshkosh has over 300 sites. Louisville has about 400.

@loechel @Alexander_Loechel you should add some big German universities to this list!

well @zopyx has listed almost all German Universities that uses Plone at a larger Scale. Missing are
Universität der Bundeswehr München,
LMU München,
Also the
TUM
Universität des Saarlandes
and some other uses it on an Intranet level.

But we should add Oxford and Cambridge to this list for UK.

akbild / Akademie der bildenden Künste in Vienna are using Plone: https://www.akbild.ac.at/Portal/akbild_startpage
via @gogobd

The students organisation website of the TU Graz in Austria is Plone: http://htu.tugraz.at/news/news

FH Krems is using Plone: https://www.fh-krems.ac.at/

FH Joanneum in Graz developed encephalon as an internal learning platform und used it at least until 2009.

1 Like

Don't forget the PloneEdu area of this forum... (a good place for edu-interested people to organize how to present Plone in education on Plone.org and Plone.com)

Also since 2007 the Faculty of Computer Science, Mathematics and Natural Sciences of Leipzig University of Applied Sciences as well as Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology.

1 Like

Fh Krems isn't using Plone anymore (use Typo3, I think)
FH St. Pölten is

:slight_smile: