Trouble migrating from 4.3.11 to 5.0.6. Request help with migrating

I am having trouble migrating from 4.3.11 to 5.0.6. My site was created more than a decade ago and has been through several migrations since then. It has been running under 4.3.3 for a few years now. I was able to migrate it to 4.3.11 but not directly to 5.0.6 from 4.3.3 or to 5.0.6 from 4.3.11. Perhaps there is a better way to upgrade to the current Plone version. For this attempt, I downloaded the 5.0.6 UnifiedInstaller, used buildout, copied my filestorage and blobstorage files from 4.3.11 into zinstance/var and then tried to migrate to 5.0.6. Here is the error output that this generated:

Dry run selected.
Starting the migration from version: 4314
Ran upgrade step: Miscellaneous
Role / permission map imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Step languagetool has an invalid import handler
Upgrade aborted. Error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.CMFPlone-5.0.6rc1-py2.7.egg/Products/CMFPlone/MigrationTool.py", line 268, in upgrade
    step['step'].doStep(setup)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.GenericSetup-1.8.3-py2.7.egg/Products/GenericSetup/upgrade.py", line 166, in doStep
    self.handler(tool)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-1.3.27-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/v50/alphas.py", line 34, in to50alpha3
    loadMigrationProfile(context, 'profile-plone.app.upgrade.v50:to50alpha3')
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-1.3.27-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/utils.py", line 134, in loadMigrationProfile
    context.runAllImportStepsFromProfile(profile, purge_old=False)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.GenericSetup-1.8.3-py2.7.egg/Products/GenericSetup/tool.py", line 379, in runAllImportStepsFromProfile
    dependency_strategy=dependency_strategy)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.GenericSetup-1.8.3-py2.7.egg/Products/GenericSetup/tool.py", line 1414, in _runImportStepsFromContext
    message = self._doRunImportStep(step, context)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.GenericSetup-1.8.3-py2.7.egg/Products/GenericSetup/tool.py", line 1226, in _doRunImportStep
    return handler(context)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.CMFPlone-5.0.6rc1-py2.7.egg/Products/CMFPlone/resources/exportimport/bundles.py", line 28, in combine
    combine_bundles(site)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.CMFPlone-5.0.6rc1-py2.7.egg/Products/CMFPlone/resources/browser/combine.py", line 109, in combine_bundles
    if PRODUCTION_RESOURCE_DIRECTORY not in container:
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable
End of upgrade path, main migration has finished.
The upgrade path did NOT reach current version.
Migration has failed
Dry run selected, transaction aborted

I have looked on the web and read the migration notes and not found anything that solves this problem yet. I would appreciate any help you give me in figuring out how to update this site to the current version of Plone.

Thanks,
Michael

you could try this: https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/1701

you could try this: Migration to 5.0.5 fails if persistent_directory is None · Issue #1701 · plone/Products.CMFPlone · GitHub

Thank you for the link. Somehow I missed seeing that post. I read it, added the two lines of code from posting to buildout-cache/eggs/Products.CMFPlone-5.0.5-py2.7.egg/Products/CMFPlone/resources/browser/combine.py, ran sudo -u plone_buildout bin/buildout, and made it past the combine.py problem. Nice to make some progress. Thanks for this!

My database has two sites in it names Main and SchuhTest. I try things in the second one and the first is my production site. After changing combine.py, the Main site failed to migrate with the error message

Step kupu-setup has an invalid import handler
Upgrade aborted. Error:
  File "/opt/plone5.0.5/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.CMFPlone-5.0.5-py2.7.egg/Products/CMFPlone/MigrationTool.py", line 268, in upgrade
  File "/opt/plone5.0.5/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.GenericSetup-1.8.3-py2.7.egg/Products/GenericSetup/upgrade.py", line 166, in doStep
    self.handler(tool)
  File "/opt/plone5.0.5/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-1.3.25-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/v50/betas.py", line 353, in to50rc1
    migrate_linkintegrity_relations(portal)
  File "/opt/plone5.0.5/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.linkintegrity-3.0.5-py2.7.egg/plone/app/linkintegrity/upgrades.py", line 21, in migrate_linkintegrity_relations
    source_obj, target_obj, relationship=referencedRelationship)
  File "/opt/plone5.0.5/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.Archetypes-1.10.15-py2.7.egg/Products/Archetypes/ReferenceEngine.py", line 345, in deleteReference
    tID, tobj = self._uidFor(target)
  File "/opt/plone5.0.5/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.Archetypes-1.10.15-py2.7.egg/Products/Archetypes/ReferenceEngine.py", line 538, in _uidFor
    raise ReferenceException, "%r not referenceable" % uobject
ReferenceException: None not referenceable
Migration has failed

I found a Dec 7, 2015 post by fulv that had this same error. He fixed it by clearing the reference_catalog in Plone 4 before doing the upgrade. I tried to do the same by going to my 4.3.11 instance, going into the Zope interface, selecting the Main site, sorting on name, clicking on reference_catalog (/Main/reference_catalog/manage_main), clicking on the "Advanced" tab, clicking on "Clear Catalog" on the right side of the window, shutting down 4.3.11, copying the filesstorage and blobstorage directories to the 5.0.6 instance, restarting it, and trying the migration again. I was then able to migrate the Main site but it does not look right. I don't know if it helps or not with figuring this out, but from looking at /Main/prefs_install_products_form, the Main site is using Plone Classic Theme 1.3.3.

After migrating to 5.0.6 from 4.3.11, my Main site has a much different view than before. It is supposed to look like

and now it looks like

How can I get my 4.3.11 view back in 5.0.6? I would really appreciate some help with this.

I looked through my upgrade report and think there might be some output that will help people help me fix this. Does anyone see something in the upgrade report that they can use to help me?

Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50alpha3 upgrade profile
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade editing control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade maintenance control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade navigation control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade search control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade site control panel settings
Skins tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50beta1 upgrade profile
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade markup control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade mail control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade security control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Remove Language Tool and migrate settings
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50beta2 upgrade profile
Actions tool imported.
Control panel imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.init.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.export.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.deps.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.conf.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.url.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.css.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-accessibility.js.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50beta3 upgrade profile
Actions tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.init.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.export.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.deps.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.conf.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.url.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.css.
Removed record plone.resources/mockup-patterns-tablesorter.js.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.init.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.export.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.deps.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.conf.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.url.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.css.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-collection-css.js.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50beta4 upgrade profile
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50beta4 upgrade profile
Skins tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50rc1 upgrade profile
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50rc2 upgrade profile
Archetype tool imported.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.init.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.export.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.deps.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.conf.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.url.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.css.
Removed record plone.resources/resource-plone-app-discussion-stylesheets.js.
could not upgrade calendar_starting_year property
could not upgrade calendar_future_years_available property
Ran upgrade step: Run to50rc3 upgrade profile
Setting installed version of profile Products.PloneLanguageTool:PloneLanguageTool as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile plone.app.jquerytools:default as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile Products.TinyMCE:upgrade_12_to_13 as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile plone.app.jquery:default as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile Products.TinyMCE:TinyMCE as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile archetypes.referencebrowserwidget:default as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile plonetheme.classic:default as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile plone.app.search:default as unknown.
Setting installed version of profile plonetheme.sunburst:default as unknown.
Ran upgrade step: Unmark installed profiles that are no longer available.
Ran upgrade step: Mark products as installed for installed uninstallable profiles
Ran upgrade step: Cleanup uninstalled products
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to500 upgrade profile
Ran upgrade step: Unmark installed profiles that are no longer available.
Ran upgrade step: Mark products as installed for installed uninstallable profiles
Ran upgrade step: Cleanup uninstalled products
Ran upgrade step: Cleanup the skins tool.
Ran upgrade step: Remove fake kupu tool and related settings and resources.
Actions tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Reindexed `getIcon` for 641 items
Ran upgrade step: Run to501 upgrade profile.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to502 upgrade profile.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to503 upgrade profile.
Starting upgrade of core addons.
Done upgrading core addons.
Your Plone instance is now up-to-date.

Again, I would appreciate any help people can give me with fixing my Main site.

I was unable to migrate my SchuhTest site. The SchuhTest site failed to migrate with the error messages. I would like to fix it but this is a lower level priority than fixing my Main site. Here is the upgrade report.

Dry run selected.
There are unresolved or circular dependencies. Graphviz diagram:: digraph dependencies {"plone.app.versioningbehavior";"typeinfo" -> "toolset"; "portal-transforms-various" -> "componentregistry"; "atcttool" -> "catalog"; "atcttool" -> "componentregistry"; "atcttool" -> "toolset"; "actions" -> "componentregistry"; "skins" -> "componentregistry"; "languagetool" -> "toolset"; "import-intid-util" -> "toolset"; "factorytool" -> "componentregistry"; "factorytool" -> "typeinfo"; "factorytool" -> "toolset"; "placeful_workflow" -> "typeinfo"; "placeful_workflow" -> "workflow"; "componentregistry" -> "toolset"; "plone.app.caching";"controlpanel" -> "actions"; "controlpanel" -> "componentregistry"; "placeful_marker" -> "workflow"; "jsregistry" -> "skins"; "jsregistry" -> "componentregistry"; "jsregistry" -> "plone.app.registry"; "jsregistry" -> "toolset"; "plone.app.event-catalog" -> "plone.app.registry"; "content" -> "typeinfo"; "mimetypes-registry-various" -> "componentregistry"; "cmfeditions_various" -> "toolset"; "cmfeditions_various" -> "typeinfo"; "reference_catalog" -> "toolset"; "viewlets" -> "componentregistry"; "plone.app.registry" -> "componentregistry"; "plone.app.registry" -> "toolset"; "plone.app.registry" -> "typeinfo"; "propertiestool" -> "componentregistry"; "portlets" -> "componentregistry"; "portlets" -> "content"; "toolset";"plone-final" -> "portlets"; "plone-final" -> "rolemap"; "plone-final" -> "catalog"; "plone-final" -> "cssregistry"; "plone-final" -> "jsregistry"; "plone-final" -> "viewlets"; "plone-final" -> "controlpanel"; "plone-final" -> "propertiestool"; "plone-final" -> "workflow"; "ploneopenid-various";"update-workflow-rolemap" -> "workflow"; "sharing" -> "rolemap"; "uid_catalog" -> "toolset"; "workflow" -> "toolset"; "atct_content";"cssregistry" -> "skins"; "cssregistry" -> "componentregistry"; "cssregistry" -> "plone.app.registry"; "cssregistry" -> "toolset"; "contentrules" -> "componentregistry"; "contentrules" -> "content"; "contentrules" -> "workflow"; "cookie_authentication" -> "toolset"; "import-relations-utils" -> "toolset"; "catalog" -> "toolset"; "mailhost" -> "componentregistry"; "content_type_registry" -> "componentregistry"; "plone.app.multilingual_default";"properties";"plone.app.multilingual_uninstall";"plonepas" -> "componentregistry"; "plonepas" -> "controlpanel"; "plonepas" -> "memberdata-properties"; "plonepas" -> "rolemap"; "combine-bundles" -> "plone.app.registry"; "browserlayer" -> "componentregistry"; "plone-difftool";"plone_outputfilters_various" -> "componentregistry"; "memberdata-properties" -> "componentregistry"; "kupu-setup" -> "plone_various"; "caching_policy_mgr" -> "toolset"; "archetypetool" -> "archetypes-various"; "usersschema";"difftool" -> "toolset"; "difftool" -> "componentregistry"; "repositorytool" -> "toolset"; "repositorytool" -> "typeinfo"; "repositorytool" -> "cmfeditions_various"; "rolemap";"archetypes-various" -> "componentregistry"; "intid-register-content" -> "catalog"; "intid-register-content" -> "import-intid-util"; "plone.app.theming" -> "toolset"; "kupu-setup" [color=red,style=filled]; }
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50alpha3 upgrade profile
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade editing control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade maintenance control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade navigation control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade search control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade site control panel settings
There are unresolved or circular dependencies. Graphviz diagram:: digraph dependencies {"plone.app.versioningbehavior";"typeinfo" -> "toolset"; "portal-transforms-various" -> "componentregistry"; "atcttool" -> "catalog"; "atcttool" -> "componentregistry"; "atcttool" -> "toolset"; "actions" -> "componentregistry"; "skins" -> "componentregistry"; "languagetool" -> "toolset"; "import-intid-util" -> "toolset"; "factorytool" -> "componentregistry"; "factorytool" -> "typeinfo"; "factorytool" -> "toolset"; "placeful_workflow" -> "typeinfo"; "placeful_workflow" -> "workflow"; "componentregistry" -> "toolset"; "plone.app.caching";"controlpanel" -> "actions"; "controlpanel" -> "componentregistry"; "placeful_marker" -> "workflow"; "jsregistry" -> "skins"; "jsregistry" -> "componentregistry"; "jsregistry" -> "plone.app.registry"; "jsregistry" -> "toolset"; "plone.app.event-catalog" -> "plone.app.registry"; "content" -> "typeinfo"; "mimetypes-registry-various" -> "componentregistry"; "cmfeditions_various" -> "toolset"; "cmfeditions_various" -> "typeinfo"; "reference_catalog" -> "toolset"; "viewlets" -> "componentregistry"; "plone.app.registry" -> "componentregistry"; "plone.app.registry" -> "toolset"; "plone.app.registry" -> "typeinfo"; "propertiestool" -> "componentregistry"; "portlets" -> "componentregistry"; "portlets" -> "content"; "toolset";"plone-final" -> "portlets"; "plone-final" -> "rolemap"; "plone-final" -> "catalog"; "plone-final" -> "cssregistry"; "plone-final" -> "jsregistry"; "plone-final" -> "viewlets"; "plone-final" -> "controlpanel"; "plone-final" -> "propertiestool"; "plone-final" -> "workflow"; "ploneopenid-various";"update-workflow-rolemap" -> "workflow"; "sharing" -> "rolemap"; "uid_catalog" -> "toolset"; "workflow" -> "toolset"; "atct_content";"cssregistry" -> "skins"; "cssregistry" -> "componentregistry"; "cssregistry" -> "plone.app.registry"; "cssregistry" -> "toolset"; "contentrules" -> "componentregistry"; "contentrules" -> "content"; "contentrules" -> "workflow"; "cookie_authentication" -> "toolset"; "import-relations-utils" -> "toolset"; "catalog" -> "toolset"; "mailhost" -> "componentregistry"; "content_type_registry" -> "componentregistry"; "plone.app.multilingual_default";"properties";"plone.app.multilingual_uninstall";"plonepas" -> "componentregistry"; "plonepas" -> "controlpanel"; "plonepas" -> "memberdata-properties"; "plonepas" -> "rolemap"; "combine-bundles" -> "plone.app.registry"; "browserlayer" -> "componentregistry"; "plone-difftool";"plone_outputfilters_various" -> "componentregistry"; "memberdata-properties" -> "componentregistry"; "kupu-setup" -> "plone_various"; "caching_policy_mgr" -> "toolset"; "archetypetool" -> "archetypes-various"; "usersschema";"difftool" -> "toolset"; "difftool" -> "componentregistry"; "repositorytool" -> "toolset"; "repositorytool" -> "typeinfo"; "repositorytool" -> "cmfeditions_various"; "rolemap";"archetypes-various" -> "componentregistry"; "intid-register-content" -> "catalog"; "intid-register-content" -> "import-intid-util"; "plone.app.theming" -> "toolset"; "kupu-setup" [color=red,style=filled]; }
Skins tool imported.
Archetype tool imported.
Ran upgrade step: Run to50beta1 upgrade profile
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade markup control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade mail control panel settings
Ran upgrade step: Upgrade security control panel settings
Upgrade aborted. Error:
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.CMFPlone-5.0.6rc1-py2.7.egg/Products/CMFPlone/MigrationTool.py", line 268, in upgrade
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/Products.GenericSetup-1.8.3-py2.7.egg/Products/GenericSetup/upgrade.py", line 166, in doStep
    self.handler(tool)
  File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/plone.app.upgrade-1.3.27-py2.7.egg/plone/app/upgrade/v50/betas.py", line 63, in upgrade_portal_language
    lang_settings.use_content_negotiation = portal_languages.use_content_negotiation  # noqa
AttributeError: use_content_negotiation
Migration has failed
Dry run selected, transaction aborted

I found a posting that talks about the AttributeError: use_content_negotiation message but could not figure out what I should do to my site to fix it. Any help with this would be appreciated.

About the theme (the look).
Getting the old look back will be very difficult, since that theme is not working in Plone 5 (basically none of the old themes work, since the whole 'theming stuff' is different..

That said: go to /@@theming-controlpanel and Choose 'Bareceloneta theme' , then click on the "Advanced Tab" and choose 'No styles (or something similar) as Base Theme.

You will now have the new Plone 5 theme, that probably is OK.
You can change the logo in the 'Site' control panel.

About the other error I only have a wild guess: you have enabled several languages on your site and used an add-on that is not working in Plone 5, you could try to uninstall it and then run the upgrade
( http://yoursite/manage_main and click on 'portal_quickinstaller'

Espen

Also ran into several "has an invalid import handler"-errors, this solved it to me:
Go to "[SITE_URL]/portal_setup", then click on the "Manage"-Tab, there you can remove entries for import-profiles which don't exist anymore, deriving of formerly installed add-ons.

Found on: https://www.sitekickr.com/snippets/plone/step-quintagroup-plonecaptchas-various-invalid-import-handler
Shared by: http://www.universalwebservices.net/

About AttributeError: use_content_negotiation, looks like Davi Lima has answered this on SO:

HTH, ida