We have several outdated, unmaintained, and unsupported trainings. We need to curate them. This post is a notification to Authors to update their trainings, and to let Authors know of their planned status. Complete details of the plan and its progress are being tracked at:
05:37AM - 16 Oct 22 UTC
We have several outdated, unmaintained, and unsupported trainings. We need to cu
… rate them. @polyester, @pbauer, @ksuess, and I discussed how to proceed. We should notify Authors to update their trainings, and let Authors know of their planned status. Here's the suggested plan in sequence.
- [x] Create a table of all the trainings with the following columns ([Google Sheets](https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Wmg03uXD3fIRYz33xPFnzaFbLYdxjhKq10NAKDswFxg/edit#gid=0) but with restricted access).
- Training Name
- Training URL
- Authors' names
- Authors' GitHub usernames
- Proposed status (`archive` or `retain`)
- Author response
- [ ] Documentation Team discuss which trainings should be archived or retained.
- [ ] Create a section on the Trainings home page describing our plan to archive outdated trainings.
- [x] In Matomo stats, investigate why `/5/` is preferred over `/` in search engine results. [Edit: @stevepiercy believes that a redirect permanent 301 will fix this.]
- [ ] Notify Authors of proposed status and to update Trainings by March 31, 2023.
- [ ] Community Forum
- [ ] GitHub
## Deployment of archive
- [x] Identify where `https://training.plone.org/5/` exists on the server:
- [ ] On March 31, 2023, or soon thereafter, create a new tag and new branch `2022` for the archived trainings. Updates to that branch may continue to be deployed.
- [ ] Set up an auto-deploy of the branch `2022` to `/var/www/training.plone.org/2022/` on the server.
- [ ] Set up a permanent redirect 301 from `/5/*` to `/2022/*` to remove indexing of `/5/` and use `/2022/` instead.
- [ ] Add `robots.txt` to `2022` so that it is no longer indexed.
- [ ] Delete `/var/www/training.plone.org/5/` from the server.
## Deployment of `main`
- [ ] `main` continues to be the current branch to be automatically deployed always and forever to `https://training.plone.org/`.
- [ ] Remove the archived trainings from `main`, retaining only the current trainings.
## Annual deployment
- [ ] Every year, by December 1, create a new tag/branch for that current year and create a permanent snapshot under that year's URL. For example, only the trainings that were conducted during 2023 would appear in the `2023` branch and under the URL `/2023/`.
@pbauer @ksuess @polyester @spereverde @fredvd please let me know if this sounds reasonable or if I missed anything.
We have created a Google Sheet for all training Authors and Presenters to review what we propose to do with their trainings in detail.
Training Name,Training URL,Authors' names,Authors' GitHub username,Trainer of last training,Proposed status (archive or retain),Notes,Author response
The following trainings will be the only ones retained at the primary training URL
. The branch
main is the default for the repository
GitHub - plone/training: Plone Trainings.
main will continue to be automatically deployed to the URL
Mastering Plone 5 Development
Mastering Plone 6 Development
Migration best practices
Plone 6 Classic UI Theming
Volto Add-ons Development
The following trainings, as well as the above retained trainings, will be snapshotted on a new branch
2022, and will be automatically deployed at a new URL of
Angular SDK for Plone
Automating Plone Deployment
Build your own webframework from scratch
Deploying and Operating Plone on WSGI
Migrating Content with Transmogrifier
Plone 5 Theming
Plone Deployments With Amazon OpsWorks
Plone Training Solr
Through-The-Web Plone Customization
What Authors and Presenters need to do
Please let us know here or in the issue
Curate Trainings · Issue #672 · plone/training · GitHub whether we have made the correct decision to archive or retain your training by 2023-03-31.
Soon thereafter we will execute the plan for Trainings. Thank you for your collaboration.