The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later

hi all, from the last two days im facing this problem. i know what 503 is but the problem is that i can not find when and why it occurred what is the main reason behind that and how do i fix it?

From where you are getting this kind of error "From apache or your Zope/plone instance ". Do let us know after that we could get the root cause of this issue.

Regards,
Jitesh Agrawal

thanks jitesh, my plone website is on a vps. i tried on both through my ip :8080 and my website www.biztech-resources.com but non of them worked.

Ok than, You should start your instance in foreground mode and identify the root cause.

Step 1 : First start your zeoserver ( YourInstancePath/bin/zeoserver fg ) in foreground mode. If its successfully run than you do not have any problem with your Zeoserver Else you will get the proper error in the command promt where you can identitify the actual root cause.

Step 2 : If zeoserver doesn't thow any error than you can go ahead and start your client if you install zeo-client architecture in Foreground mode ( YourInstancePath/bin/cleint1 fg ) and trace the look at the run time

1 Like

will take years and years to understand plone.... betting bored with it : )

I understand but once you know/understand the Plone features and utilities. After that you will only prefer Plone CMS nothing else.

Ok. Can you please do let us know which architecture are you using ? i mean (Standalone or Zeo) . So we could help you in better way.

Other than this you can also check the event.log and Z2.log file in order to check the error log which is present in your var directory (YourInstancePath/var/*)

Fortunately for you there is an excellent training material (and trainings being held every now and then), great documentation and event better than that: a plone.api that will help in your regular 80% of the usual programming part of developing Plone.

If hosting is the problem, there are official ansible playbooks, docker images on the making and quite some companies that can provide you top-notch assistance if needed.

But yes, you can get bored... or excited! :wink:

2 Likes

using zeo arch

this is the error i got from

/opt/plone/zeocluster/bin/zeoserver fg /opt/plone/zeocluster/parts/zeoserver/bin/runzeo Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/runzeo.py", line 405, in <module> main() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/runzeo.py", line 402, in main s.main() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/runzeo.py", line 158, in main self.open_storages() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/runzeo.py", line 207, in open_storages self.storages[opener.name] = opener.open() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZODB/config.py", line 177, in open return FileStorage(config.path, **options) File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZODB/FileStorage/FileStorage.py", line 148, in __init__ self._file = open(file_name, read_only and 'rb' or 'r+b') IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/plone/zeocluster/var/filestorage/Data.fs'

Hello Shahbaz,
It's seems to an error in your permission. please give to proper permissions to your Data.fs so that you could start your zeoserver. Or use sudo -u 'username' /opt/plone/zeocluster/bin/zeoserver start

not working. i can see in my filestorage folder Data.fs.lock file mentioning a number. what is this for?

Moreover, i can see the same lock file with a number in it in client1's folder.

Strictly speaking, you do not have a Plone problem but a local problem with the operating system permissions in your file system.

Plone and "zeoserver" support two run modes: root mode and user mode.
In root mode, you start Plone/zeoserver as "root" and it quickly switches to a (operating system) user specified in the Plone/zeoserver configuration (called "user"); this "switched to" user becomes the effective user. In user mode, you start Plone as a normal (i.e. non root) user and Plone/zeoserver stays to run as that user; which, therefore, is the effective user.
You must ensure that the effective user can read and write "Data.fs" -- using commands of your operating system (--> "chown", "chmod").

A "FileStorage" file must be written by at most one process. The "*.lock" is used to detect violations to this restriction.

i tried out everything, used chmod and chown but still no success. what to do?

The last option is to wash the server and re-install everything but this not the actual solution. :frowning::rage:
on serious note, Plone should make at least a list of such errors and its solutions.

You are very vague as to what exactly your problem is and what you tried to change.

• Do you still have the same IOError: Permission denied? Show us the actual error again.
  • What exactly is the ownership of the offending file? Show us the output of: ls -la /opt/plone/zeocluster/var/filestorage/ or whichever file is causing you trouble
  • Under what user is your installation running? After you had the error, show us the output of: whoami
  • Show us what effective-user you have in your buildout.cfg

Guido Stevens

Yes, still an I/O Error,

[root@server ~]# /opt/plone/zeocluster/bin/zeoserver fg /opt/plone/zeocluster/parts/zeoserver/bin/runzeo Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/r unzeo.py", line 405, in <module> main() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/r unzeo.py", line 402, in main s.main() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/r unzeo.py", line 158, in main self.open_storages() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZEO/r unzeo.py", line 207, in open_storages self.storages[opener.name] = opener.open() File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZODB/ config.py", line 177, in open return FileStorage(config.path, **options) File "/opt/plone/buildout-cache/eggs/ZODB3-3.10.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/ZODB/ FileStorage/FileStorage.py", line 148, in __init__ self._file = open(file_name, read_only and 'rb' or 'r+b') IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/plone/zeocluster/var/filestorage/Da ta.fs'
[root@server ~]# ls -al
total 57944
dr-xr-x--- 5 root root 4096 Mar 15 12:24 .
drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 4096 Mar 9 16:09 ..
-rw------- 1 root root 15632 Mar 15 14:01 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18 May 20 2009 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176 May 20 2009 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176 Sep 23 2004 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 14 11:03 .cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100 Sep 23 2004 .cshrc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 plone_buildout games 216 Feb 14 13:22 ._iRedMail-0.9.4
drwxr----- 3 root root 4096 Jan 14 10:55 .pki
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 Mar 15 13:48 Plone-5.0.2-UnifiedInstaller
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 59269294 Jan 10 22:35 Plone-5.0.2-UnifiedInstaller.tgz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 129 Dec 4 2004 .tcshrc

`

Please look more careful at the output you get.
It says:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/plone/zeocluster/var/filestorage/Da ta.fs'

but then you show us the permissions in your home folder.
what you want to now is the permission settings of the file mentioned above.

Hello Bazo,

If you have nothing in your application/Data.fs thn you ncan delete this files which is present inside your filestorage directory (rm -rf /opt/plone/zeocluster/var/filestorage/*) and re run your zeoserver in foreground mode(fg). It will be automatically created while to start your server and check.

As Patrick said, you only have some permission issue whith your data.fs file. Alos you can use chown.chmod command to manage the permission. once you have reset the permission you will not face any kind of issue.

After all, if you will still face any problem then let me know i will send you the proper installation procedure of plone 4/5