In my GSoC proposal, one of my milestones is to make it easier for Rapido apps to be installed and exported.
Currently, I've added the ability to install rapido apps from one theme to another by clicking on a button on the Theme Editor page. This feature only does a clone of the rapido app from the source theme to the contexted theme. Doing it this way promotes the cloned app to be independent of the source theme, but it will not be able to receive updates from the source theme.
Near future Implementation
Referenced Rapido Apps
Rapido apps, by default, have the ability to be referenced by creating a
.lnk file with the name of source theme as the content. Upon installing a rapido app from another theme via the Theme Editor page, the user should be given the option to reference the rapido app, in addition to cloning it.
- Each theme with the referenced app will receive updates from the source theme.
- Minimize the persistent storage space for rapido apps and themes
- The referenced app is not independent of the source theme
- The provided functionality of the referenced app might be at risk if the source theme is deleted.
- Changes will not be exclusive to the contexted theme.
Remote Repository for Rapido Apps
Importing and exporting Rapido apps from a remote repository should be easy as installing a Wordpress add-on from a marketplace. It's a bad comparison when it comes on to security, but the flexibility of installing re-usable Rapido Apps is quite feasible at times.
- Access to a wide variety of re-usable rapido apps.
- Imported apps can be personalized
- There might be unforeseen security concerns.