Steering Circle Meeting Minutes, 2020-02-16

  • Team reports
    • Membership - contacted some people to nominate themselves. Want to have more new members. Also reach out to those that did not renew. Currently have 75 PF members, 200+ emeritus
    • Release - Maurits will do a new release soon (5.2.4). A lot happened with the sprint last week. Eric needs to review changes and start releases
    • Security - email correspondence about possible security issue. Team looking into if we need hotfix or bugfix in next Plone version
    • Marketing - working on plone.org. Small theme fixes so far, sprinting on content improvements next week. Bigger overhaul for the site later this year. Plan is to upgrade plone.org with each release of Plone.
    • Volto - about to ship version 12 alpha. Improves configuration object, and other improvements. First iteration of slots, evolution of portlets. Working on Quanta (next UI/UX), slowly implementing. Image handling - Tiberiu is working on a better way to process images coming from Plone with the scales and formats. A pre-processor, which can be used instead of Plone’s. Currently a proof of concept.
    • Installers - Jens made some fixes to GitHub actions for the 5.2.2 Installer, but it doesn’t work on Windows yet. Need to update for 5.2.3. Had discussion for what to do next to get Volto working. Will switch over to pip install plone that will work on Docker, using the Diet Plone Docker Calvin created.
      • Need some testing on M1 processor. Docker doesn’t have a final release yet for M1
    • Zope - Alexander said Jens made a release due to security reports on ZMI issues on bootstrap packages. Micheal H. reported they are migrating from Travis CI to GitHub actions, getting things running. New releases in 4 and 5. New JS libraries, updates and bugfixes. Keeping on relatively low-level - releases as needed.
    • Admin & Infrastructure - Moving everything from zope.org to zope.dev. Fulvio working moving all sponsors over to plone.org from plone.com
    • Guillotina - working on Guillotina 7. Introduces option to store JSON objects instead of pickles in the DB. Support for Mongo, Couch, etc. Effort to make Volto work on Guillotina is amazing - fast delivery process. Getting some new jr. developers.
    • Training - added videos of the trainings to the training sites, added to the RST. Working on updating the relations chapter after the last relations sprint. Blog post forthcoming. Sprint next week with Katja to fix loose ends.
      • Demo site - sites with nightly build are broken, will work on fixing on Thursday. Plone 6 branch version of the site will have Barceloneta LTS. Would be nice to have official Plone 6 demo with Volto, but the Kitconcept version is nice. Let Philip know if site is not working
    • Documentation - Guillotina docs are getting an overhaul with new theme and moving content. Having a meeting to get started on Plone 6 with Volto soon. Current documentation is working, releases can be done, not many PRs coming in
    • Internationalization - not present. Kim reported that leader (Vincent) is not working on Plone. Will need a new team lead.
      • Volto uses Plone as a model for creating translations to generate translation files. Need someone to take care of Plone Classic + Volto. There are some languages translations.
      • Timo will if Manabu is interested in leading this team
    • Sponsorships - Kim provided access to mail for Fulvio to work on catching up on old things
    • Plone Conference - meeting with the Belgium organizers tomorrow
    • Framework - Eric S reported there has not been much activity recently
    • Plone Classic - will look into fixing UI bugs
  • Improving Plone’s usability (agenda item from Sally). Need a separate team, or leave to the Volto team?
    • Eric S: We have a bunch of UI PLIPs, need someone that can take the lead and organize interested in sprints.
    • Victor - Volto already takes care of UI/UX, with Albert. Don’t have bandwidth to double-up Quanta. Do we want Plone Classic to be different from Quanta? Don’t have bandwidth to maintain separate UIs.
    • Philip - when there are PLIPs for things that go in both Classic and Volto, how do we do the UI?
    • Timo - there are some new PLIPs for just Plone Classic, needs to be both
    • Fred - need UI fixes, but they aren’t big enough for PLIPs.
    • Need to revise monthly Plone Tune-Ups?
    • Plone Classic team will look into fixing UI bugs in classic
  • Philip - what are blockers for Plone 6?
    • Fred - JS injection for add-ons needs to be clear. PLIP from Johannes not done yet. Documentation is important
    • Maurits: getting pip install plone to work
5 Likes

Plone Foundation Code of Conduct