Restarting buildout problem

Hi, i have created a site for own company in Plone5. www.biztech-resources.com.

it works fine and available online. now i wanted to to add some add-ons in my site like Products.PloneFormGen . i have added it in my buildout.cfg

# Eggs
# ----
# Add an indented line to the eggs section for any Python
# eggs or packages you wish to include in your Plone instance.
#
# Note that versions may be specified here or in the [versions]
# section below. You should always specify versions that you know
# are compatible with the Plone release and at an acceptable
# development level.
#
# If you update to a later version of Plone, remove the hotfix.
#
eggs =
    Plone
    Pillow
    Products.PloneHotfix20151208
    Products.PloneFormGen
    plone.app.debugtoolbar
    webcouturier.dropdownmenu

the problem is that i want to restart my buildout but the command im using bin/buildout restart results in no such file or directory, i tried /opt/plone/zeocluster/var/zeoserver client1 restart as well but no success. i searched out the doc but only go the option of bin/instance restart

im using zeocluster with the client1, please let me know how to restart the buildout now, any alternate way of restarting it or am i making a mistake in finding out my instance.

thanks

Did you check the logs? Do the services work when you start them in foreground instead of daemon mode?

-aj

If you add eggs you need to rebuild with 'bin/buildout'.
When that is done you need to restart all your zeo clients and the zeo server, typically with 'bin/supervisorctl restart all'.

It really depends on how you installed the system. One trick you can do is run the following command:

netstat -tulpn

This will give you a list of running services and their ports. What do you get when you run that command now?
Also, check to see if you are using supervisor with a command like:

sudo supervisorctl status

This doesn't cover all the possibilities but it is a good start.

On one of my machines, I get the following output:

Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State       PID/Program name
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8080            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      4189/python2.7  
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:80              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      4208/nginx      
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8081            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      4308/python2.7  
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:28017         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1213/mongod     
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1212/sshd       
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:25              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      23426/master    
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8100          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      24551/python2.7 
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:27017         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1213/mongod     
tcp6       0      0 :::80                   :::*                    LISTEN      4208/nginx      
tcp6       0      0 :::22                   :::*                    LISTEN      1212/sshd       
tcp6       0      0 :::25                   :::*                    LISTEN      23426/master 

and sudo supervisorctl status gives me:

zeoserver_memmon                 RUNNING    pid 24550, uptime 7 days, 21:11:27
zeoserver_zeoclient1             RUNNING    pid 4189, uptime 3 days, 17:14:20
zeoserver_zeoclient2             RUNNING    pid 4308, uptime 3 days, 17:13:34
zeoserver_zeoserver              RUNNING    pid 24551, uptime 7 days, 21:11:27

From this I can conclude that I have two clients running on port 8080 and 8081 and zeo running on nport 8100

My guess: your buildout fails because dropdownmenu is not working with Plone 5, you will have to check out the Plone 5 version on github

(update) If there is an error when running buildout, those scripts (that starts Plone and the clients) are not 'made'.

So: your buildout did NOT finish, but stopped because of an error.

Try re-running buildout with "bin/buildout -Nvvvvvvvv". This will give you more complete information about the build and package selection.

If it runs to completion, you should be able to restart your Plone using either supervisor or instance, depending on if you installed a cluster, or single instance, respectively.

bin/instance start
bin/supervisord

Also, before you re-run buildout, you're shutting down the cluster or instance, right?

I would say that this isn't always the best plan - if buildout doesn't run to completion then zeoserver and/or your instance(s) won't necessarily start again afterwards.

I'm not sure if you're testing in live or not but it's often a good plan to have separate environments in order to test things without impacting your live site(s)!

As others have mentioned, the first step is to make sure your buildout is running to completion?

It looks like you might be running things in the wrong directory. Can you confirm which folder your buildout.cfg file is in?

The key thing to avoid is running buildout on a running cluster/instance. Having A and B installs and alternating between them is a nice approach, but @bazo didn't mention if he was doing this or not, so I wanted to make sure he wasn't running buildout on a running install.

David Siedband . yes i made a mistake initially to make changes in the site on a running instance. now what i did is that i made a copy of my site and making changes in that. is that ok?

this is the path i wanted to restart my buildout but so far no success. i am using putty and plone5 installed on Centos

What does your bin/buildout file look like?
Specifically the first 3 lines?

here you go, that is how my buildout looks like and the first three lines of it.

Still a guess, I think your issue is the virtualenv that the unified installer created.
Look in the bin/activate file, what do you see as the value for VIRTUAL_ENV?