[RESOLVED] Plone 5.2 REST API and SSL: unable to get local issuer certificate

I'm perfectly able to use REST API to POST (Create), GET (Read), PATCH (Update) content objects on a sandbox, local (http://localhost:8083/) Plone 5.2 site.

On the production corresponding site, with https access, I can create, read, update content objects TTW but, though REST API, only by disabling SSL verification with verify=False.

For instance:

requests.get('https://gte.univ-littoral.fr', verify=True)

leads to:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 600, in urlopen
    chunked=chunked)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 343, in _make_request
    self._validate_conn(conn)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 839, in _validate_conn
    conn.connect()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connection.py", line 344, in connect
    ssl_context=context)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py", line 345, in ssl_wrap_socket
    return context.wrap_socket(sock, server_hostname=server_hostname)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.7/ssl.py", line 412, in wrap_socket
    session=session
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.7/ssl.py", line 853, in _create
    self.do_handshake()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.7/ssl.py", line 1117, in do_handshake
    self._sslobj.do_handshake()
ssl.SSLCertVerificationError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1056)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 449, in send
    timeout=timeout
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/connectionpool.py", line 638, in urlopen
    _stacktrace=sys.exc_info()[2])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/urllib3/util/retry.py", line 399, in increment
    raise MaxRetryError(_pool, url, error or ResponseError(cause))
urllib3.exceptions.MaxRetryError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='gte.univ-littoral.fr', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1056)')))

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 75, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 60, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 533, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 646, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 514, in send
    raise SSLError(e, request=request)
requests.exceptions.SSLError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='gte.univ-littoral.fr', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1056)')))

I'm facing the same error even if I specify the .crt and .key files:

requests.get('https://gte.univ-littoral.fr', cert=('....crt', '....key'))

I guess this isn't directly related to Plone but who knows... Would be nice if someone here can help me for this problem.

This has nothing to do with the REST API. Something is wrong with your SSL config. I recommend to check your website with one of the SSL checkers that are online to figure out what's wrong. Check your certs in different browsers and see if there are any errors or warnings showing up.

@rubencho: I tried what was suggested there but everything failed (maybe because I'm quite new in certificates mystery).

Indeed, the problem was there. In the nginx's config, I now have:

ssl_certificate /etc/ssl/certs/server.crt;

where server.crt is the concatenation of (in this order):

1. The Primary Certificate,
  2. The Intermediate Certificate,
  3. The Root Certificate.

Thanks to both of you!