During its March 18th meeting, the Plone Foundation Board formalized the decision to rename existing repositories branch names from master to main. The name of the default branch for new repositories is already set to main.
As we are a large organization with hundreds of repositories, the renaming must be done in an automated way, so the AI Team will handle the renaming using a script leveraging Github API.
We already checked this automation via API behaves, in the same way, as the UI option and will take care of:
- Re-target any open pull requests
- Update any draft releases based on the branch
- Move any branch protection rules that explicitly reference the old name
- Update the branch used to build GitHub Pages, if applicable
- Show a notice to repository contributors, maintainers, and admins on the repository homepage with instructions to update local copies of the repository
- Show a notice to contributors who git push to the old branch
- Redirect web requests for the old branch name to the new branch name
- Return a "Moved Permanently" response in API requests for the old branch name
But, as of now, it will not:
- Modify the default branch on your local clones
- Modify existing automation scripts (Travis, Github workflow)
- Modify references within buildout files or requirements.txt files
- Update our Jenkins configurations
We will use this topic to plan the next steps, discuss risks and agree on a timeline to proceed with the renaming.
Please let us know your ideas/suggestions/concerns.