Question about Through-The-Web theming in Volto and opportunities to contribute

Hello there!
I saw a talk about TTW theming of Plone classic UI and I loved that feature because I'm currently working on building a blog site using Volto UI, and I'd love to be able to change the theme (not whole structure but style like dark/light) of my site seasonally without having to write any code., and so this got me interested in learning more about through-the-web theming in Plone 6 Volto. I've read here that this feature is planned for a future release of Plone, but I'm not sure if it is still being actively developed. Can anyone tell me more about the current status of through-the-web theming in Plone 6 Volto, and whether there are any plans to include it in an upcoming release?

I'm also interested in contributing to the development of through-the-web theming in Plone 6 Volto and I'm considering applying for the Google Summer of Code (GSOC) program. So is there anything I can do to help out with this project, or anything I can contribute to this?

Thanks!.

Happy New Year!!!

2 Likes

Happy New Year, have you seen the poll and lively discussion here?

Thanks a lot! That's exactly what i was looking for😊

@MAX-786 We're currently developing a website where the theme can be changed "on the fly". Don't think anything drastic, but background colors, font colors, etc.

With the introduction of CSS custom properties (variables) this is pretty straight-forward. You just need to define a set of variables or CSS design tokens and use them throughout your theme. Then you can assign (even dynamically) a class to your root <body> tag that would override the variables and have them reflected everywhere on the site.

Can anyone tell me more about the current status of through-the-web theming in Plone 6 Volto, and whether there are any plans to include it in an upcoming release?

There's no such thing, afaik, at least not how it's done with Plone classic. I've seen, though, Volto websites where they load a "volto-custom.css" file, served by the Plone classic, where they can quickly add some styling fixes, in case they're needed.

I should also mention Volto's "block styling wrappers", which is a "half-framework" that can help tweak some visual aspects styles of your blocks. It's not much, it's basically just about injecting some css classes to the block wrapping elements.

2 Likes

I would be happy to see it!

Could you give pointers to these websites?

Thanks for the info! Yes, exactly! this was a thing I was looking for because sometimes a user wants to change the theme (color/bg/etc.) seasonally.

After reading this discussion IG i need move on from TTW theming in Volto BTW As you said here I think this is a hidden issue that we need to address too.