[Proposal] Updating logger support for zope2instance recipe for WSGI

The current logger configuration in zope2instance recipe is currently very limited under WSGI (due to the hardcoded wsgi template within the package). Since I have time and resource and some budget I would like to extend the zope2instance logging options the following way.

• for the event and access log we need support for FileHandler, RotatingFileHandler and TimedRotatingFileHandler (as available through Python's logging.handlers module
  • I would like to extend the zope2instance configuration by a new option event-log-handler=s (same for access-log) which would directly map to the class option of the related handler section in wsgi.ini:
     event-log-handler = FileHandler # default
     event-log-handler = logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler
     event-log-handler = logging.handlers.TimedRotatingFileHandler

I would deprecate (or even remove) the options event-log-max-size and event-log-old-files which are specific to the RotatingFileHandler.

Instead of hard-coded options for specific logger types I would prefer a more generic approach like

event-log-args = "when='h', interval=1, backupCount=10"

which would be used to construct the args option of the wsgi.ini file e.g.

[handler_accesslog]
class = logging.handlers.RotatingFileHandler
args = ('/home/ajung/sandboxes/ugent-portaal-plone-4x/var/log/instance-access.log','a', 5000, 5)
level = INFO
formatter = message

The generic approach would allow us to configure any arbitrary logger with arbitrary constructor as access and event logger.

I think this would cover most of the logging usecases.

I do not see any equivalent for the event-log-custom, access-log-custom options which are specific to the ZServer within a WSGI environment.

In order to provide a complete custom wsgi.ini configuration (if needed), the recipe should provide an optional option wsgi_template = /path/to/my_wsgi.ini which would be used instead of the hard-coded WSGI template inside the recipe's code.

Mail logger: a mail logger (via logging.handlers.SMTPHandler) could be configured in the same way. The current maillogger component for ZServer supports string interpolation for dynamic mail subjects (e.g. to include the hostname within the subject). Email subjects in this configuration approach would be static unless there is a way to hook somewhere and somehow into email generation code).

Note: some people use external tools like logrotate or approaches like mentioned in https://pypi.org/project/tha.logcheck/ but I do not personally like this kind of dependencies that are usually configured on the administration level by root or by some administrator....but this is highly personal and depends on your operational requirements.

Thoughts?

A preliminary version with support for arbitrary logging handlers is already working.
Here with an timed rotating handler for events and a standard rotating loghandler for the access log.