Possible Talk - What are Jamaicans doing with Plone?

Hi Everyone,
I'm doing many activities lately regarding Plone and what it means to the Jamaican development market and the Caribbean region. I'm building out a collaborative team of local and international companies, foundations and people to solve each team member problems and problems in the world. Imagine building a house, a company or person drafts the blueprint and the initial cost of making your home. Another company employ construction workers who prepare the foundation for your home, which is wired by an electrical company and piped by a plumbing company. I think you get the gist. Now imagine, if you only go to one single company that offers a seamless service with a group of companies to satisfy your needs and wants in various areas like buying a car, registering your business and building your new website or product in a couple of weeks or months. Finally, imagine if that group of companies are in every sector of the economy driving the use of technology, which pushes all industry forward. This organisation is called the United Nations of Companies and People in Tech (UNoCaPiT); please note the name is tentative. I am aiming to make UNoCaPiT a public company with each of its core members a shareholder of the company. Also, I am seeking to start another company called the Osoobe Foundation to hold a managerial role in planning, directing, managing, marketing and help to find funding core collaborators and partners to improve their current service and aid them in their expansion while assisting in the larger goal of UNoCaPiT.

Now, if we take in the principles of economics and the principles of sustainable growth into for each member's country, especially third world country, doesn't that mean the economy, the GDP and skillset to offshore developers will increase, which in-turns appreciate the country's currency, ease of doing business and more?

What I just described is part of the overall vision of what I am trying to achieve with a group of collaborative companies in Jamaica and the world at large with Plone being one of the core systems. In fact, I am launching and demoing https://jamaicandevelopers.com, a Plone website that will be the foundation of this initiative.

Ok.... So what else is in it for Plone? At the moment, I am using Gitlab for Auto-deployment, task management for various departments. Slack for communication. DgitalOcean for hosting. ERPNext for accounting, CRM and more. TermsFeed and Grammarly for initial legal documentation drafts and grammar checks. All of these great systems and tools are great but I had to set up integrations, whether by coding and manual integration set up. Now, Imagine if Gitlab, DigitalOcean, docker container provider or hosting provider having a one-click create, install and deploy button like DigitalOcean one-click-app-deployment for Wordpress, Drupal and other frameworks by attaching your Plone docker image or use a vanilla version Plone. If individuals choose Vanilla Plone, then they can change not just look and feel of Plone, but the behaviour of Plone. These are processes that I am aiming to build out from strategies I am borrowing from Asko and Dylan as mentors without their knowledge.

To make this a reality, not just for the Jamaican market but the world at large, we need the assistance of the Plone Foundation. This assistance involves funding. To put it in perspective, the workflows I built for the Jamaican Developers website started around August 15th, 2018. Now, imagine what we can do together as a group of collaborative team of companies and developers.

Yes, it sounds like an ambitious problem, but with the right team of companies, it is more than possible. Funnily, what I said is just Phase 1. There are three phases. I also want to make the pitch a talk, but I do not know if it is viable for one because these are only presumptions that I have observed from working with different organisations.

Please let me know if you are interested to hear more. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours Respectfully,
Oshane Bailey
Full Stack Developer at Alteroo and Founder of the Jamaican Developers Community.

info@jamaicandevelopers.com
https://www.alteroo.com/

1 Like

Oh... and this is the reason why I was asking so much question. I am trying to connect the dots of how we can offer an ON CLICK INSTALL APP. Yes, I put the development of the Theme Editor on pause to tackle this larger problem.

Oh, so I just realize I missed the deadline. Is there are possibility of an after talk or meeting I can do to share the other ideas I have for the pipeline for this project and what it means to Plone?

sounds interesting and of course ambitious :slight_smile:

The talk submission period is extended until October, 4th.See: https://2018.ploneconf.org/talks/submit-a-talk

Go and submit it!

Thanks Raggam....

I also should add that I am working with a media production team to do YouTube video on Plone and the other stacks that Jamaicans are using, which I was trying to use GoGetFunding to generate the source of founding.

Based on the commit history, you should be aware of these attempts. Is this the route you're pursuing?

No, I am not. I am going create something new, I am going to existing technology that you guys, the founding and current fathers of Plone already built. Imagine using dockerized version of Plone, a ansible playbook or any of the tools you've already builtout for auto-deployment or installation of Plone by running a single command on a fresh new server.. With tht said, I am going to approach GItlab and DigitalOcean as international collaborators to add us, the Plone Foundation to the service of one-click-apps deployment services. One-Click-Apps are frameworks that are setup and deployed on a fresh new server. Now, Imagine spinning up a Plone app just like that.

Sadly, right now, to make quick side money, I use one-click-apps to quickily spin up Wordpress sites for some clients, drop a theme on it, give them the login and then call it a day. I do feel like I am cheating them, so I don't do it often.

Oh, so the next question is, why would day do this for us. Well, firstly I am an advocate for them, even when my fellow developers was switching to Amazon, Google and so forth, I stayed with them. Secondly, it's people approach method I am using, whereby I will say this is how we are using systems. However, we need to automate this for new Plone developers and new Digital Ocean users. We are giving them value while creating value for us. Hence, creating a win-win model. After that, is the pitching phase to become apart of the team, whereby, we will recommend our members to you, give you a SSO end point to get our users if the law allows it, etc. They do offer a referral system, which we would love to capitalize on, which we can negiogate a deal on the volume of users will may bring them and free serves for startups to use.

I think you get the picture, we should create a overwhelming win-win winning model for them. This is the template I am using for all the companies I am approaching, but of course, we have understand their problems. I have spent the quite a while waiting, setting up, networking and researching to start walk smoothly with the right companies in place.

Of course, I am validating small to large companies pain points before I even think about starting such a task. However, I can ask companies and individuals question and get an answer, but all the answers should not come from the researches I've done but the companies that are going to participating in this cause of collaborative team of companies and people. These probing questions are the very reason why I want to keep a general meeting on October 16 with the various parties to tell them my presumptions based on all the conferences I've gone to and see how valid it is. If my assumptions are or are not correct, then we workout to move forward from there and how we can come to that middle ground.

The same approach will be taken with international collaborators, for example, what I am doing now with Plone.

However, these strategies need more validations and need to be discussed with the various local and international parties that come on board before I start implement the pipeline of services that UNoCaPit should provide..

I don't really understand your partnership idea but in terms of plones big green button I still believe in the cloud first approach I talked about way back in 2013 https://www.slideshare.net/djay/plone-the-open-source-cmsasaservice-platform.

We let anyone create their own wordpress.com in a few clicks.

1. improve plones multisite experience by making it easy for users to setup VHM inside plone (https://github.com/collective/plone.cpanel). It's really just a better zope root page for plone (and maybe a control panel inside plone itself). So even a zope-only install with no nginx etc could host real domains.
  2. More docker. It's pretty good already. but some kind of off the shelf kubernetes/rancher stack that gives you haproxy, varnish and zopeconsul (https://github.com/collective/collective.zopeconsul). Basically a whole working mutlisite plone setup including users being able to signup for new sites could be contained in one docker-compose file and include a set of known plugins that work together. ie a distribution.
  3. The first distribution would be a power user TTW set of plugins including themefragments, ampidexterity, themesitesetup, mosaic, plone.rest etc. Everything you need to create complex sites using just zip uploads. If it allows headless themes to be deployed via zips then even better.
  4. Documentation on how this all works together to create complex websites that avoids the words "buildout", "zcml", "setup.py" "python scripts are obsolete".
  5. TTW theme gallery and installer.

See if all this lets many flowers bloom.

Given this stack lets you put up not just sites on the web but snippets of server-side python, I call it DIY serverless.

CI/CD is just a bonus for more advanced users. Less extra dependencies the better.

Thanks, @djay, what you said was quite insightful and this is why I only gave such summary that encompasses Phase 2 and Phase 3 of the plan to answer any probing question. I will clarify the two things you have addressed in a role-playing scenario.

This is exactly what I am saying. However, we should try and create some form of collaboration with Digital Ocean, Google, Amazon or other hosting provider to have them add Plone to their stack of One-Click-Apps

I will give more context when I get the chance. It's is 2:15am

b4oshany Oshane Bailey
September 27
djay:
We let anyone create their own wordpress.com in a few clicks.

This is exactly what I am saying. However, we should try and create some form of collaboration with Digital Ocean, Google, Amazon or other hosting provider to have them add Plone to their stack of One-Click-Apps

Sure. Why not if we have enough time.

But the way I see the future shaping up kubernetes is going to be the most ubiquitous way to get something scalable up quickly.

So a few yaml files and a few commands like outlined here - Deploy WordPress on GKE with Persistent Disk and Cloud SQL  |  Kubernetes Engine  |  Google Cloud is something that would work across almost any provider soon (https://kubernetes.io/docs/setup/pick-right-solution/). Whereas supporting all of the different proprietary providers one click solutions is going to take more effort. Effort that has no direct monetary reward for anyone.

That is a big stumbling block for all of this. It’s very much a long term bet and it’s historically hard to the community enthusiastic when there are so many more pressing things. I started writing plone.cpanel 5 years ago and never finished I’m sure in part because its hard to justify the company time when we make money from hosting :frowning:

But the good news is the worked to do all this is now days way less :slight_smile:

I've been following kubemetes from day one, in fact, I've used kubemetes technology long before Gitlab team up / collaborate with Google for GCE Kubemetes integration and before Google approach Cloud Native Computing Foundation for collaboration since it would be very hard to acquire. I do believe it will be the future, but what about everyone else. Not all Plone or every developer will use kubemetes. It may be too expensive for some, it may be too challenging, and some developers are loyal to their host provider as to how I stick to DigitalOcean as my go-to hosting provider even though Google and Amazon have a better setup.

Let me use Google as an example. Google acquire companies as soon as they see the possibility of doing so. This act of acquisition, especially for patents, is what we have come to known of Google. This company of companies approach is similar; however, there's no form of acquisition involved in this approach. This approach aims to formalise a strategy we all are doing already by either partnering or hiring another company to do QA, DevOps, legal documents, or any additional developmental work for a project. With a company of companies approach, one customer becomes everyone's customer within the pipeline of services needed by that customer that's if the initial company chooses to collaborate with the other companies within the portfolio.

To summary, the aim of the approach is more about providing a pipeline of services under a single profile to ease the pain of delivering services that a single company don't offer, while still getting a piece of the pie.

Hi @tkimnguyen,

I am going to need an invitation letter to come to Japan for the conference. My travel agent said that she needs it by this wednesday, October 3rd, so that she can ensure that I can get the Japanese Visa. Sorry for the late notification. I do plan to come regardless of being a speaker or not. I enjoyed the visit last year and I am looking forward in learning more from Plonistas. Please let me know as soon as possible if you can get it done.

1 Like