Plone 6.0: drop support for Python 3.7 and 3.8?

About Python 3.8 on Ubuntu I use:

Not at all saying it's not possible. Just staying that when we got a new front-end dev and wanted to build plone 5.2 classic on his new 22.02 laptop.... well... the step "python -m venv ." didn't work out of the box.

um, let me be clear.. venv works, but plone didn't.

So, we had to install python3.9 (match production) then make sure to venv with that one. Not to mention the dev is super smart and thought that using an environment switcher like pyenv or conda or something because he read the docs about it and tried to solve it himself. We deploy to only one environment, so we don't need that and our build got even more complicated and undocumented.

Only because in this moment in time... 22.02 ships with 3.10 as the system python, and plone 5.2 doesn't work with python > 3.9

The problem will go away, I just wanted to complain that I had to do work and my ego took a hit.

And oh woe is me, I had to update the installation docs to say 'python3.9 -m venv .' because a new install wouldn't work with the current instructions.

Plone 5.2 does not work with Python 3.9 either. It might work, but it is not supported, tested or otherwise recommended. I recommend to stick to 3.8.

1 Like

I have closed the poll. Python 3.7 has no votes, and we already stopped officially supporting it in Plone 6.0.0 beta 2.

30 percent of voters still want Python 3.8. Let me make it official: Plone 6.0 final will support this version, plus of course 3.9 and 3.10.

The Python community supports Python 3.8 with security fixes until October 2024, so still two more years. When that period ends, Plone 6.0 will no longer support it either. We will not actively break it in 6.0.x, but we may stop testing with it. Most likely at that point Plone 6.0 is in security-only mode, so there won't be any maintenance releases except security hotfixes.

3 Likes