Plone 6.0.4 soft released

Plone 6.0.4 has been soft-released. Please give it a try and let me know if there are any critical issues.
See also the checklist for this release .

For those who haven't run across soft-releases before, this is the last step before the final release. Because things haven't been finalized yet, some packages may change between now and the release. It is not recommended to use soft-releases in production.

Release notes for Plone 6.0.4rc1

If you want to jump straight in, here are two important links:

Highlights

Major changes since 6.0.3:

• plone.app.event and plone.app.multilingual: Breaking dependency cleanup: move declaration of language independence of IEventBasic fields from plone.app.event to plone.app.multilingual.
  • plone.app.locales: Updated translations for es and eu.
  • plone.base: Check for container field / attribute when trying to create content with same id.
  • plone.restapi:
    • Apply a cache ruleset to the /@querystring-search endpoint.
    • Add UID to relationvalue_converter summary.
    • Add querystring_search GET method.
  • plone.schema:
    • Introduce extras plone.schema[supermodel] and plone.schema[schemaeditor].
    • The package now works in its vanilla installation as an addon for z3c.form, without any other plone dependencies.
  • plone.staticresources: Update to mockup 5.0.9. Fixes pat-recurrence UI issues.
  • Products.CMFPlone:
    • Add a last modification time to the resource registry.
      We update this when changing anything related: when changing the resource registry in its control panel or activating an add-on.
      This avoids needing a restart before seeing changes when you run in production mode.
    • Mockup TinyMCE settings: Fix URLs in TinyMCE external_plugins settings.

Volto frontend

The default frontend for new Plone 6 sites is Volto. Latest release is 16.20.4. See the changelog.
Note that this is a JavaScript frontend that you need to run in a separate process with NodeJS.

Also, existing Plone sites need some or more extensive changes to be upgraded before they can use the Volto Frontend. Please read the guide on migrating from Plone Classic UI to Volto.

Classic UI

The HTML based and server side rendered UI that was present in Plone 5.2 and earlier major Plone releases is still available and has also been updated and improved upon in Plone 6. Our documentation now refers to this frontend as 'Classic UI'. Support for Classic UI is especially relevant for existing Plone sites which for whatever reason or requirements are not yet ready to be upgraded to the Volto frontend.

Python compatibility

This release supports Python 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, and 3.11.

pip, buildout, setuptools

In Plone core we use these versions to install Plone:

pip==23.0.1
setuptools==67.6.1
wheel==0.40.0
zc.buildout==3.0.1

In general you are free to use whatever versions work for you, but these worked for us.

Note that setuptools 66 or higher is more strict with what versions it can recognize. If you run pip or buildout and it suddenly cannot find a package with a non-standard version, then this may be the cause.

Installation

For installation instructions, see the documentation.

Issues

If you find any issues, please report them in the main issue tracker.

3 Likes

I have updated plone.app.standardtiles to 3.0.1, with an ImportError fix. This is not core Plone: it is in versions-ecosystem.cfg.

While we fixed a bunch of cyclic dependencies, the additional declarations from the plone/meta project brought up new ones, also direct ones. Here my pipforester output of the current soft release:

1 Like

I have updated plone.app.mosaic (ecosystem package) to 3.0.2. That should be the last change before the final 6.0.4 release.

1 Like

I fixed

and it would be awesome to get those fixes in.

Plone 6.0.4 has been released earlier today. Official announcement to follow.

No, the latest fixes from Jens are not in there.
We have a stable one month release cadence now, so the wait should not be long.

Ok, I missed the announcement! I fixed another transitive cyclic dependency:

One month is fine :smiley: