Plone 5.2b1 soft-released

Plone 5.2b1 has been soft-released. Please give it a try and let me know if there are any critical issues.

For those who haven't run across soft-releases before, this is the
last step before the final release. Because things haven't been
finalized yet, some packages may change between now and the release. It
is not recommended to use soft-releases in production.


1 Like


I have just reported an issue in the theming controlpanel that I faced yesterday with Plone 5.2a3 and I have also reproduced it today with 5.2b1 that makes the site completely unusable:


This has been fixed by @pbauer on


IMO we should include new Zope 4 beta 9 release here. One (probably test-isolation related) issue is left before we can do so:

I've released 4.0.1 and added it to the build.

1 Like

Asking for a release and then to hold it back because of other changes... :smiley:

1 Like

I was thinking exactly the same thing. :laughing:

1 Like

No no no, go and release, problem was solved, but we dont wait for Zope 4.0 beta10. Its not blocking to go with beta8.

  1. Products.ExternalEditor needs a release to fix the ZMI in Python 2.
  2. It would also be great to get merged and a new release of into this release to fix tests in Python 2 without AT.

Other than that the release looks good. 6.1.3 and Products.ExternalEditor 3.0 have been added to the build.

1 Like

With Python 2.7, the Unified Installer works with this release with trivial changes. Really little more than would be required for a new 5.1.x release. I'll be doing some work to generalize the installer for use with either 2.7 or 3.x.

With 5.2, I'm also considering that we may drop the "works offline" feature of the installer so that we can pick up binary wheels from PyPI where possible. That will make the installer smaller and will help it to work in environments like OS X where the dependencies for Pillow and lxml are less likely to be easily available. We already do this for Windows.


Hmm, the tradeoff there is that it may cause problems if there is someone installing Plone in an environment without access to PyPI, such as an intranet without access to the internet or in a country that censors internet access.


Can we move 5.2b1 out of pending please? After the sprint at Plone Tagung in Munich I think we should release a b2 and a rc1 soon after that.


Pending flag has been removed and 5.2b1 has been passed along to the installers team.

1 Like

The Unified Installer will take a little longer than usual in order to get Python 3 compatability.

1 Like

Dropping offline install is definitely a tradeoff. Opinions on the balance of concerns?

Another issue: a pre-built buildout cache is a problem when we're supporting 2.7, 3.6, 3.7 and 3.8 Python, rather than just 2.7.

I should add that this isn't a blocker. It will just make for a change in the installer packaging.

Roll multiple installers or just bundle all variants in?

My first thought is to leave the buildout_cache/eggs directory empty and have all the sources and universal wheels in buildout_cache/download/dist. I existing installers, buildout_cache/eggs has pre-cooked, non-binary, eggs and buildout_cache/download/dist has only the sdists for packages with binary components.

1 Like