Performance boost at Radio Free Asia (Part 2)

I sort of hinted at a description of how we profiled our plone site at RFA in my previous post: How we got a 10x Performance boost at Radio Free Asia

I figured I'd take some time and share it.

Please be advised that this work is completely my own.
I am in no way promoting that this is the perfect way to do performance profiling in Plone. It just was the fastest thing I could pull out in a time of need.
What I mean is, I didn't really consult anyone on best practices, pitfalls, or just 'bad science' that can occur with this method. In fact, that's why I'm here - peer review. Please comment if I went wrong somewhere.

#Let's start at the Template
Because I had no other place to start. The ZMI database cache was pegged, the slow query log was not helping. Pages were taking 3-4 seconds to load. That's all the information I had. Standing over the sysadmin's shoulder probably would give me little help. We know it's the code.

I created a quick and dirty browser view that kicks off cProfile, so I can call it from templates:

at the top of my main_template.pt I put this in:

<tal:x tal:define="profiler context/@@profiler;
                   dummy python:profiler.start(filename='control.pstat');
                   >

.... The rest of my main_template.pt ...

and the bottom

<tal:y tal:define="dummy python:profiler.stop()" />
</tal:x>

I also can set the output filename in the template, so I can quickly change it to grab test data.
In hindsight, I probably could have used the context and request to create a unique filename... but... whatever....

I threw the python code in a sub directory of my main product, because I like that:

performance_profiler/
├── configure.zcml
├── __init__.py
├── profiler.py

and added it to my main configure.zcml:

<include package=".performance_profiler" />

Being careful not to check this in. Adding profiling code to a production website is not a good idea - especially if you're looking to speed it up.

But basically, the template is now instructing the view to start and stop python's built-in cProfile tool.

https://docs.python.org/2/library/profile.html

Now, restart the server, and request a page - any page (that uses the macro in the main_template)

and magically, you have a file appear called 'control.pstat' in your instance's directory.

you can read this with the primitive pstats python module from the command line:

$ python -m pstats control.pstat
Welcome to the profile statistics browser.
% help

but I was using kCacheGrind - it's pretty

$ sudo apt-get install kCacheGrind    

(or yum, or build from source, whatever)

$ sudo pip install pyprof2calltree      

(converts python profiles to calltree format)

$ pyprof2calltree -k -i control.pstat

convert the file and launch kCacheGrind with output:

(Image is a sample from the web, and not Plone related)

And this is what clued me in that I was calling pt_render about 10 times more than I expected.

I also discovered a few more places that were taking up a significant amount of time, or being called repeadedly and could be cached.

The point of this output is to find a piece of code or two that a 1-hour refactor can significantly increase performance. Going farther than that is typically a waste of time. Without discipline you can spend weeks or months tweaking code to get a few more milliseconds, but there isn't much payoff. Also, as a general rule, the more you optimize code, the less readable and maintainable it becomes. There are tradeoffs.

remember:

"Programmers waste enormous amounts of time thinking about, or worrying about, the speed of noncritical parts of their programs, and these attempts at efficiency actually have a strong negative impact when debugging and maintenance are considered. We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil. Yet we should not pass up our opportunities in that critical 3%." -Donald Knuth

kCacheGrind also won't tell you what data is being processed, just how much time you spend in each function. Adding a set_trace() to that one function that seems to be doing too much or called too many times, even if it's in an egg, can really shine a light on where you went wrong.

like <tal:condition tal:if='image'>

This also lead me to reading about Plone query optimization:

we are spending a TON of time in <BTrees._IIBTree.intersection> because more indexes are NOT better. Did you know that adding a path to a query can slow it down, not speed it up?

Question: How can I avoid having btree intersections? My research says that zodb query time is logarithmic if you use a single index, but can become linear if using more than one - and I think this is the evidence.

1 Like

@flipmcf You know there is profiler built into zope right?

https://lionfacelemonface.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/profiling-plone-4-well-profiling-zope-while-running-plone-4/ (not sure why this isn't in the plone manual). It's quick and easy but perhaps not as pretty.

And there are others e.g. https://pypi.python.org/pypi/Products.ZopeProfiler
https://docs.plone.org/manage/deploying/performance/tips.html#profiling-plone

BTW. by default query optimisations are lost on restart. When profiling you might be seeing the unoptimised queries. We make a big performance boost by saving our query plan and having it automatically loaded on started. This is not hard to do.

@djay Similar to this thread on stackoverflow which outlines how to load and save the query plan. Where in code could you call this on shutdown of a Plone site?

Should add the link, ahem. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13981963/can-i-use-zcatalogs-query-plan-to-optimise-catalog-queries

1 Like

Yes, you're right, and I forgot to mention that. Also, one of the zope profilers I saw did have an option to 'throw away' the first run to remove uncached requests. I can't remember which one it was.

I did find the first run after restart somewhat useful in our case (unfortunately) because it's where I discovered our navigation query was loading near every object into the zope object cache. A refactor sped 'first load' up by 4x on just that method, cached (only?) got a 20% lift.

If I may have an opinion here, I really don't like the 'exclude_from_nav' index - but I think I understand why it's built that way.

We now have a new index 'nav_item' that, in theory, should only have 7-8 values for 'True' - making that query very fast... well... as long as you don't intersect it with another index. (we still do)

That's very interesting! Thanks!