'Open Source Initiative' Stops Collaboration With FSF Over Richard Stallman's

I’ve been very uneasy since I saw RMS rejoining the FSF board. They should explain why he’s been allowed to do so and what he has done concretely to change his behaviors and to address the hurt he has caused. What will he do differently now? How will he be held to account?

I am thinking of adding my name to the signers of the letter calling for his removal as well as that of the FSF board. They’ve had enough time to respond.

3 Likes

Thanks, Kim for sharing! This is indeed very disturbing. I am wondering if it is possible for an organization (like the Plone Foundation) to sign or if there is anything else we could do on an organization-level...

1 Like

Thanks for raising this Kim, I will support any Plone initiative to object to RMS's return to leadership.

2 Likes

The (independent) Free Software Foundation Europe distances from from FSF too and "call for his resignation from all FSF bodies": Statement on Richard Stallman rejoining the FSF board - FSFE

2 Likes

The Plone Foundation board is aware of this issue, but since the PF hasn’t been actively engaged directly with the FSF I’m not sure what the PF could do other than show solidarity with the many others (organizations and individuals) who have objected to Stallman’s return.

At least one FSF board member objected and resigned:

This is the site/letter https://rms-open-letter.github.io/ but the repo says it is no longer accepting new signatures as of March 28 GitHub - rms-open-letter/rms-open-letter.github.io

If the FSF wants to have any kind of relevance (an open question, unfortunately), they need to ditch RMS and fix things now.

This is a letter IN SUPPORT of RMS GitHub - rms-support-letter/rms-support-letter.github.io: An open letter in support of Richard Matthew Stallman being reinstated by the Free Software Foundation

I know a board usually goes through a lot of deliberation before making a big change, so I was initially reluctant to pile on until the FSF had made a statement explaining why Stallman should be allowed to return.

We will discuss this topic at the next board meeting at April 1st.

1 Like