Minor Products.DateRecurringIndex issue blocking buildout

There is this simple unicode problem that is fixed by changing the CONTRIBUTORS.rst file. The person who filed this issue also submitted a PR but apparently hasn't submitted a contributor's agreement. I just pinged him, but still am wondering what we can do to fix this in the short term. I am seeing buildout fail on the GitHub.com/plone/simple-plone-buildout because of it. Even if I (for argument's sake) made the change myself and released a new version of DateRecurringIndex, we'd have to issue a new Plone fix version?

This is on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, Python 3.6, Plone 5.2. Oddly enough it's the first time I've run into this, and on the same box if I run buildout again manually it succeeds (the first time, it was run by Salt).

Traceback (most recent call last):
                File "/srv/plone/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/setuptools/sandbox.py", line 154, in save_modules
                  yield saved
                File "/srv/plone/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/setuptools/sandbox.py", line 195, in setup_context
                  yield
                File "/srv/plone/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/setuptools/sandbox.py", line 250, in run_setup
                  _execfile(setup_script, ns)
                File "/srv/plone/env/lib/python3.6/site-packages/setuptools/sandbox.py", line 45, in _execfile
                  exec(code, globals, locals)
                File "/tmp/easy_install-ualyi0t4/Products.DateRecurringIndex-3.0.0/setup.py", line 12, in <module>
                File "/srv/plone/env/lib/python3.6/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
                  return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
              UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 251: ordinal not in range(128)

...I'm also now wondering why https://github.com/collective/Products.DateRecurringIndex is in the collective rather than in the plone organization in GitHub... It is required by plone.app.event, so shouldn't it be in the plone org? @jensens @mauritsvanrees @gforcada

Initially I created this index and lots of people modified and perfected it after that, primary @thet, but its not part of the Plone Foundation assets. It is collective code.

I would move the references to the *.rst files into setup.cfg and remove the read from setup.py. Have fun.

1 Like

@jensens could you add the collective user (or me, tkimnguyen) as an owner or maintainer at https://pypi.org/project/Products.DateRecurringIndex/ ?