Migrating an Intranet from Plone 5.1.6 to Plone 5.2

Hey! I'm new here and would love to have some help from people who have more experience than me to help me with this task I have. I'd like to say that I've only been familiar with Plone for one month now, so I'm really at the beginning.
Well, I'm responsible for the migration of a large intranet from Plone 5.16 to Plone 5.2. I guess that the big problem here is to migrate all archetype content to dexterity.
From what I learned from some research, migrating the default content types is the easy part. However, migrating the custom ones may be more difficult.
Given this description of what I have to do, I would appreciate it if someone could give me some tips on where to get more information. I'm also reading Professional Plone Development by Martin Aspeli, which I'm hoping will give me some light on how to work better as a developer.

Thank you for having the patience to read all this. Any help would be welcome!

Ana Barbosa

1 Like

Hi Ana
You might have found it already. If not, please have a look at GitHub - collective/collective.exportimport: Export and import content and other data from and to Plone. The in-place migration is still a valid way to go, but this package is helping with an export from your existing instance and an import to an instance version of your choice. It's a great tool, I did a migration last week with custom content types on both old and new instance, and it is done and ready. It needs a custom import and or export, but how to do it is described: GitHub - collective/collective.exportimport: Export and import content and other data from and to Plone.

BTW It's worth to think about migrating to Plone 6 now.

1 Like

Hi!! Thank you so much for your answer. I'm very very thankful!! I'm going to try that package out on my testing installation and see how it goes! Also, I'm not sure about the migration to Plone 6 yet, only because of the migration of Python 2.7 to Python 3. I think it would be a piece of work. But thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to explore more on that subject!!

Well, that is one of the advantages of exportimport over in-place migration: You set up an instance and import data from a json file. You do not have to care about the Python version.

1 Like

Oh, I didn't know about that!! Thank you so much. I'm going to see how it goes. You've been really helpful!

If you have custom/old code based on Archetypes, you need to port it to Dexerity too..

1 Like

Ok, thank you so much. I'll not forget!!

Hi Ana - if you can make it to the conference in person you should attend the Mastering Plone class. It is the best introduction to Plone development and it’s taught by some crazy good people.

Otherwise, you can look at the training materials for all the classes at training.plone.org. You might also want to look specifically at the transmogrifier training Migrating Content with Transmogrifier — Plone Training 2022 documentation

If your content types are 'not too special', you can make new content types in Dexterity and then use /@@custom_migration (search community. plone ) It works pretty well. You could even make the content types TTW (in the control panel) and see if it works (before putting any work into the migraition)