Installing Plone for Windows

Hey everyone. I'm currently a college student trying to use Plone to build an intranet style website. I was able to download and use Plone once before, but after switching to a new device I haven't been able to install it again. I have a windows machine and I've tried piecing all of the information together, but haven't found a way to install Plone into my device. I have tried the Unified Installer but I couldn't find a direct set of instructions to downloading Plone so I was hoping that someone could help me out. I've tried to install it for about 3 weeks and haven't been able to get it to work. Thank you!

Hello @fpera

I don't know if your request is still valid.
If you still haven't managed to install Plone on Windows, use @steve's advice here:

Installers-UnifiedInstaller/windows.rst at master · plone/Installers-UnifiedInstaller · GitHub.
Be careful with the default python 38 installation directory from Microsoft Store though due to permissions issues.
The installation in the default directory works fine.

However, I failed to install plone 5.2.4 in a directory of my choice.

Good luck.

What version of Windows are you running.? If Windows10, what build number?

I just completed Plone 5.0.8 on a windows10 pc, but I used windows subsystem for linux and Ubuntu 18.04 to get Plone running....

Hello @ andplo9920
In my opinion, the installation should be able to be done on any Windows 10 as long as it is up to date with features and security updates.
On a PC I have Windows 10 build 19041.985
On another I have Windows 10 build 19042.985.
I was able to install plone 5.2.4 on both in the default directory.

Again when I try to install in a directory of my choice, for example on another partition, the installation fails.

Do you have a specific reason to install plone 5.0.8, then a lot of later versions install fine on Windows 10?

Plone on Ubuntu, i feel, is anywhere from 2 to 3 times faster than Plone in Windows, thats all....

As far as I remember it speeds up a lot if Antivirus scanning is disabled for the buildout folder.

Hello,

Indeed, we have much better performance when excluding the buildout.cfg folder from antivirus monitoring.
But also the buildout.exe folder?

The question is, although Plone is a very secure CMS, every once in a while vulnerabilities are discovered which result in security patches very quickly.

However, in a sensitive environment isn't it risky to put these folders in exception under Windows by excluding them from antivirus monitoring?

Well. We have here two places where a virus can get on disk. As data, either as blob or in ZODB or while installation. Latter is a problem in a paranoid world and it is probably a good idea to scan the buildout artefacts, once after each buildout run. For that reason it is recommended to run buildout as one user and run Plone as another with only read access to the executables and Python files (same on Linux).

If a virus is saved as data it may reside on disc in the blobstorage - and wont ever get executed from there. In my opinion this should never happen in a paranoid world, because a firewall (like a WAF) already scanned the upload and rejected it. But even if it got uploaded the only harm done is while downloading by a different person - and this is the same on Windows and Linux (etc.).

But while Plone runs I see no reason to have this scan-before-read-access slowdown switched on - which is a significant factor given the huge amount of files in all the Python eggs and wheels. It just wastes CPU cycles and we got more CO2 into the air.

Hello,
Objectively, you are right about the waste of resources that would be a repeated scan or monitoring of Plone's folders and files.
As a general rule, this should be done with rigor and nevertheless common sense.
Thank you.