Installation trouble with 5.2.14

I'm having an installation problem with a Plone server that I inherited. After a recent round of server updates, one of the Plone 5.2.1 sites won't start. This particular site uses Python3, and it has symbolic links to Python 3.6 libraries in /usr/lib/python3.6. It looks like one of the server updates replaced 3.6 with 3.8, so the sym links in the Plone tree are broken.

Is there a way to fix the installation as it is?

If not, I have tried installing Plone 5.2.14, but the install script fails with:

An internal error occurred due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/lib/python3.8/site-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 2252, in main
getattr(buildout, command)(args)
[...]
File "/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/lib/python3.8/site-packages/setuptools/_vendor/importlib_metadata/init.py", line 196, in load
return functools.reduce(getattr, attrs, module)
AttributeError: type object 'Distribution' has no attribute '_finalize_feature_opts'
Buildout failed. Unable to continue

What am I missing with this?

Thanks for any advice.

did you try to simlink /usr/lib/python3.6 to /usr/lib/python3.8? Anyway, this should be the fix

it should be a problem with the setuptools version.

I tried the sym link, but that didn't work. I can try again, along with recreating venv.

No luck with that:

pip3 install -r requirements.txt -c constraints.txt setuptools zc.buildout wheel

Requirement already satisfied: setuptools==65.7.0 in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages (from -c constraints.txt (line 2)) (65.7.0)
Requirement already satisfied: zc.buildout==3.0.1 in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages (from -c constraints.txt (line 3)) (3.0.1)
Requirement already satisfied: wheel==0.38.4 in /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages (from -c constraints.txt (line 4)) (0.38.4)
Collecting pip==23.0.1
Using cached pip-23.0.1-py3-none-any.whl (2.1 MB)
Installing collected packages: pip
Attempting uninstall: pip
Found existing installation: pip 20.0.2
Not uninstalling pip at /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages, outside environment /usr
Can't uninstall 'pip'. No files were found to uninstall.
Successfully installed pip-23.0.1
root@host:/opt/plone5-j/zeocluster#
root@host:/opt/plone5-j/zeocluster# ./bin/buildout
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
File "/opt/plone5-j/zeocluster/lib/python3.6/abc.py", line 64, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_abc'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/opt/plone5-j/zeocluster/lib/python3.6/io.py", line 52, in
File "/opt/plone5-j/zeocluster/lib/python3.6/abc.py", line 68, in
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named '_py_abc'
Aborted (core dumped)

Check that the Python 3.8 you are using is not broken in this regard, maybe check:

$ python3
Python 3.8.18 (default, Feb 18 2024, 11:46:52)
[Clang 15.0.0 (clang-1500.1.0.2.5)] on darwin
>>> import _abc
>>> _abc
<module '_abc' (built-in)>

You have not indicated the server/system operating environment you are using? It is possible that your system Python might just be broken and/or incomplete (more likely latter, as a result of distro packaging concerns). I might advise:

1. (as the user you run Plone as) install pyenv via download of pyenv-installer
  2. use Pyenv to install Python 3.8.18 from source and configure your bash profile/rc accordingly.
  3. set pyenv local 3.8.18 in the directory you plan to create a venv
  4. create a venv via python3.8 -m venv env in that directory
  5. create a venv with reasonable requirements for Plone 5.2.14, make a requirements.txt that looks like:
setuptools==65.7.0
pip==20.3.4
wheel==0.38.4
zc.buildout==3.0.1
Pillow==9.2.0
lxml==4.8.0
  1. Use your virtual env python to install these, something like:
./env/bin/python -m pip install -r requirements.txt
  1. Use the buildout in your environment to run buildout, something like:
./env/bin/buildout -c buildout.cfg

Notes and Disclaimers:

1. This is all speculative, you may be able to make your system Python to play nice, but I don't know what the sufficient conditions for that are.
  2. Make a clone or copy of your server if you can instead of experimenting in place. If you cannot do that, have good backups before trying to make changes, such that you can roll back to wherever you were before experimenting.
  3. My recollection is that there are a bunch of YouTube videos on installing Python via pyenv, may be worth finding one or two that walk through this. This path ends up being much more "in your sphere of control" than a system Python ever could be (both on Linux and macOS).
2 Likes

This is all on a server running Ubuntu 20.04.

I installed Python 3.8.18 from source into /usr/local. I then tried installing Plone 5.2.14 again, picking /usr/local/bin/python3.8 as the version of Python to use. It gets a lot farther, but still fails with the following:

chmod 754 /opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/*'
chmod: changing permissions of '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/python': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/python3': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/python3.8': Operation not permitted
Section setpermissions contains unused option(s): 'update-command'.
This may be an indication for either a typo in the option's name or a bug in the used recipe.
Installing precompiler.
Compiling Python files.
File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/Zope-4.8.10-py3.8.egg/App/tests/fixtures/error.py", line 2
a = # noqa
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/plone.staticresources-1.4.6-py3.8.egg/plone/staticresources/static/components/jqtree/_entries/insert.py", line 44
print 'rename %s to %s' % (old_filename, new_filename)
^

File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/plone.staticresources-1.4.6-py3.8.egg/plone/staticresources/static/components/jqtree/_entries/renumber.py", line 36
^

File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/zodbpickle-2.6-py3.8-linux-x86_64.egg/zodbpickle/pickletools_2.py", line 1803
print "skipping %r: it doesn't look like an opcode name" % name
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print("skipping %r: it doesn't look like an opcode name" % name)?

File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/zodbpickle-2.6-py3.8-linux-x86_64.egg/zodbpickle/pickle_2.py", line 882
except _Stop, stopinst:
^

File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/zodbpickle-2.6-py3.8-linux-x86_64.egg/zodbpickle/tests/pickletester_2.py", line 433
x = [0, 1L, 2.0, 3.0+0j]
^

Compiling locale files.
/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/plone.app.contenttypes-2.2.3-py3.8.egg/plone/app/contenttypes/migration/utils.py:504: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
if source_type is 'DX':
/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/plone.app.contenttypes-2.2.3-py3.8.egg/plone/app/contenttypes/migration/utils.py:507: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
if target_type is 'AT' and not is_referenceable(source_obj):

Installation has failed.

Don Rainwater via Plone Community wrote at 2024-4-22 21:30 +0000:

This is all on a server running Ubuntu 20.04.

I installed Python 3.8.18 from source into /usr/local. I then tried installing Plone 5.2.14 again, picking /usr/local/bin/python3.8 as the version of Python to use. It gets a lot farther, but still fails with the following:

chmod 754 /opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/*'
chmod: changing permissions of '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/python': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/python3': Operation not permitted
chmod: changing permissions of '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin/python3.8': Operation not permitted
Section setpermissions contains unused option(s): 'update-command'.
This may be an indication for either a typo in the option's name or a bug in the used recipe.
Installing precompiler.
Compiling Python files.
File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/Zope-4.8.10-py3.8.egg/App/tests/fixtures/error.py", line 2
a = # noqa
^

This is by purpose!

File "/opt/plone5-j2/buildout-cache/eggs/cp38/plone.staticresources-1.4.6-py3.8.egg/plone/staticresources/static/components/jqtree/_entries/insert.py", line 44
^

Apparently, Python 3 tries to compile Python 2 code.

I do not know how you arrived there. At your place, I would check
where the version spec ("1.4.6") comes from (you may try buildout annotate)
and then replace it with a Python 3 compatible version.

there are python 2 py but this is not the problem, they're just ignored. @djr there should be a install log somewhere with the real cause.

I would use a python 3.6. Check also the requirements for Plone to build a suitable python.

To me, it doesn't look like the install.log file gives much info as to why it is failing:

/usr/local/src/Plone-5.2.14-UnifiedInstaller-1.0/install.log:

Detailed installation log
Starting at Mon 22 Apr 2024 04:43:54 PM EDT
Creating Python virtual environment.
Virtualenv successfully created
Installing Python requirements in virtual environment.

WARNING: The directory '/bin/false/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned or is not writable by the current user. The cache has been disabled. Check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you should use sudo's -H flag.

Ignoring setuptools: markers 'python_version < "3.0"' don't match your environment
Ignoring zc.buildout: markers 'python_version < "3.0"' don't match your environment
Ignoring wheel: markers 'python_version < "3.0"' don't match your environment
Ignoring pywin32: markers 'platform_system == "Windows"' don't match your environment
Ignoring certifi: markers 'platform_system == "Windows"' don't match your environment
Ignoring ntfsutils: markers 'platform_system == "Windows" and python_version < "3.0"' don't match your environment
Collecting setuptools==65.7.0
Downloading setuptools-65.7.0-py3-none-any.whl (1.2 MB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 1.2/1.2 MB 2.0 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Collecting zc.buildout==3.0.1
Downloading zc.buildout-3.0.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl (168 kB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 168.4/168.4 kB 2.2 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Collecting wheel==0.38.4
Downloading wheel-0.38.4-py3-none-any.whl (36 kB)
Collecting pip==20.3.4
Downloading pip-20.3.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl (1.5 MB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 1.5/1.5 MB 2.5 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Collecting Pillow==9.2.0
Downloading Pillow-9.2.0-cp38-cp38-manylinux_2_28_x86_64.whl (3.2 MB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 3.2/3.2 MB 3.3 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Collecting lxml==4.8.0
Downloading lxml-4.8.0-cp38-cp38-manylinux_2_17_x86_64.manylinux2014_x86_64.manylinux_2_24_x86_64.whl (6.9 MB)
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 6.9/6.9 MB 2.1 MB/s eta 0:00:00
Installing collected packages: wheel, setuptools, pip, Pillow, lxml, zc.buildout
Attempting uninstall: setuptools
Found existing installation: setuptools 56.0.0
Uninstalling setuptools-56.0.0:
Successfully uninstalled setuptools-56.0.0
Attempting uninstall: pip
Found existing installation: pip 23.0.1
Uninstalling pip-23.0.1:
Successfully uninstalled pip-23.0.1
Successfully installed Pillow-9.2.0 lxml-4.8.0 pip-20.3.4 setuptools-65.7.0 wheel-0.38.4 zc.buildout-3.0.1
Create buildout: cluster
Copying buildout skeleton to /opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster
Building Zope/Plone; this takes a while...
Parts of the install are missing: path '/opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/parts/client2'. Buildout must have failed. Aborting.

Instance directory /opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster contains:

• requirements.txt
  • develop-eggs
  • README.html
  • adminPassword.txt
  • lxml_static.cfg
  • .installed.cfg
  • parts
  • include
  • bin
  • buildout.cfg
  • var
  • lib64
  • lib
  • develop.cfg
  • base.cfg
  • pyvenv.cfg
  • products

Instance bin directory /opt/plone5-j2/zeocluster/bin contains:

• zconsole
  • pip3
  • zeopack
  • client1
  • Activate.ps1
  • pip3.8
  • snapshotbackup
  • runwsgi
  • restore
  • python3
  • zeoserver
  • zopepy
  • activate.csh
  • pip
  • mkwsgiinstance
  • backup
  • activate
  • python3.8
  • wheel
  • buildout
  • repozo
  • plonectl
  • python
  • snapshotrestore
  • addzope2user
  • activate.fish

Instance parts directory contains:

• client1
  • README.txt
  • zeoserver

It seems it cannot create the client2 directory. Maybe some permission problem? The original installation had client2?

Why would that happen? The target installation directory (/opt/plone5-j2) doesn't exist when I start, and the installer is able to create everything else in that tree. I'm also running the installer as root, so access/permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Free space on disk, for example. Anyway, if you run
./install.sh --help you can see some other options. For example, you can use --clients=1 and see what happen. You can also put a breakpoint() in helper_scripts/create_instance.py and see why it fails to create the second instance. At line 939 of helper_scripts/main_install_script.sh there's the instance creation.