Information for Interested GSoC Students 2022

Hi everyone!

We have noticed a huge amount of pull requests submisssions on our GitHub repositories from GSoC candidates.
We definitely love your enthusiasm :heart:, nevertheless be aware people in charge of reviewing and merging PRs are also busy with many other things.

So I would like to make our expectations clearer: we do think trying to fix easy issues is a nice way to start learning about the Plone development process, but we are not necessarily expecting a pull request from you.
If you have something valuable to contribute, that's very nice, but if that's not the case, that is totally fine and we will not misconsider your GSoC application for that.
Also, if you do have an interesting PR, be aware review and merge might take time as the core contributors can be busy (and if your PR is not merge at the time your candidacy will be analysed, it is perfectly ok).

Thank you!
Eric

2 Likes

Hi @ebrehault, first of all, thank you for that clarification. Will totally respect the availability of every (core) contributor. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: If it will be okay to ask, I would like to ask a counter-question :smiley:

Being a new member, I am unable to understand valuable/interesting changes as it sounds vague. Please, can you be more specific like what type of changes are considered valuable/interesting?

It sounds like your Python virtual environment linked to the previously installed enchant library. I recommend wiping your project once again, then:

git clone https://github.com/plone/documentation.git
cd documentation
make html
1 Like

Thank you, for helping me once again. :relaxed: But still getting the above error. :zipper_mouth_face: Even restarted my Mac. M1 Chip issues. :sneezing_face: :face_with_head_bandage: I will try to resolve it on my own.

Finally was able to run, sphinx in plone projects. I wasn't able to run enchant in Apple Silicon. Sharing what worked for me:-

1. Using rosetta.
  2. Using x86 Homebrew to install x86 Python3 and enchant.
  3. Changed the python3 path to x86 instead of Arm64.

Note:

1. I wasn't successful in using pyenv to install x86 python version.
  2. I think there are some support issues with enchant on Apple Silicon. Couldn't make it work natively.

2 posts were split to a new topic: GSoC idea of creating a new Volto theme

Hey i had a few questions ... (1) Is the volto theme a 3 month project or a pre-gsoc task to prove one's self? (2) is there a section where project ideas are given? (3) what are some ways to prove myself because i'm late to the party :frowning:? Is it too late for me?

1 Like

Hello everyone,

My name is Arya Pandey and I am a 20 year-old-girl living in Delhi. I am currently pursuing my B. Tech in Software Engineering from Delhi Technological University and I have always had a keen interest in Web Development.

I have a vast knowledge of ReactJS and I have worked on various government-related web development projects previously. I have also made 5+ websites using ReactJS. I am very new to GSOC and I wanted to get an idea of how I could apply to the Plone community's open-source projects. I have been observing the website for quite a while and have gained quite a lot of interest in working on its projects.

It would be really helpful if a mentor could guide me in on that!

Regards

1 Like

please see my answer in GSoC idea of creating a new Volto theme - #7 by tkimnguyen

hi @aryapandey – very glad to welcome you to Plone! Volto is Plone's React front end and we would love to have your help. You can see some discussion about the idea of creating multiple Volto themes in GSoC idea of creating a new Volto theme but feel free to start a new topic to discuss your ideas.

Thank you so much for the help, @tkimnguyen sir! I will go through the code once and try to complete my proposal as per all ideas I can brainstorm for inculcation with the community.

Regards