How remove "Welcome!/Learn about Plone" from front-page of fresh Plone 5 install?

How about removing it?

1 Like

I disagree; this is the case of something that should have had a PLIP and was not discussed just because you though "it looked awesome".

this is a non-feature as it's completely tied to the Barceloneta theme and there are already add-ons for that use case.

I don't see any reason for having that in the core.

Both @thet and @djay have repeatedly proposed a solution that IMO satisfies all @pbauer's constraints: put the hero in the content body, with a 'hero' class, and support the 'hero' class in both TinyMCE and Barceloneta.

The only thing missing there is a PR. And possibly consensus that this is the right solution and the time spent crafting a PR along this route will not be wasted.

1 Like

And until this didn't happen, people can always search this forum for how to remove the hero element, or the docs: http://docs.plone.org/adapt-and-extend/remove-welcome-section.html

I could not create html in the content-area that looks the same as it does now since the element lies above the breadcrumbs. Diazo-rules that rip it from the content and place it where it belongs seem even more obfuscating that what we have now.

1 Like

@pbauer. That's what diazo is for. I don't see how that is obfuscated. A rule to take text with the element with the style "banners-above-breadcrumbs" and move it above the breadcrumbs.
From the editor perspective it makes sense became the style says what it does. Clicking edit to find the text on the page to edit makes sense. For the themer it is just another example to copy of how to use tinymce styles to indicate not just style but semantic meaning and special layout. Its a technique that we use all the time and its very flexible and effective. In place of a proper shortcode system or mosaic its the best we have for now.

1 Like

I thought it was rather ironic that Plone 5 finally provided easy way to change the logo. A task which is the first customization most people want to do.

Only to add this hidden 'hero' banner. Since I have often had to create banners for Plone sites via various methods, I think it is a good idea to include.

It should be easy for people to use and understand out-of-the-box.

My vote would be to add "Above Content Portlets" to Plone 5" and include the Hero banner as an above content portlet. Since Portlets can be attached to a individual content page or to an entire folder structure, this would cover the way that I have seen content managers use such banners.

Stealing a footer portlet for the top of the page is confusing.

I assume that using a Dexterity behavior would only be applied to the individual piece of content and not to a folder structure.

1 Like

The Diazo needed is not convoluted at all.

Reopened https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/974. I'm at a loss how to configure TinyMCE, would be great if somebody could finish this.

1 Like

@djay, what would be the portlet styles plugin you mentioned? hexagonit.portletstyle? That'd be indeed a nice addition to core, similar stuff has been very useful for a while in Cover and its ancestor CMFContentPanels. The amount of added flexibility for integrators and editors is very desirable imo.

I've issued two PRs to fix this.

That improves on the old situation by moving the hero to content, where it can be easily removed by editors. Adding new hero elements via a TinyMCE helper is something else and still needs to be done. But at least one can now remove them, or edit the text.

Nice work @gyst. +1 improvement over the current implementation.
I had a quick look to see how to add .hero style to tinymce inside bareceloneta and I couldn't work it out either.
tinymce-content-css in the manifest file is supposed to point to a single css file with just the styles to be included in the style drop down but doesn't seem to work like that in barceloneta. ( http://docs.plone.org/external/plone.app.theming/docs/#the-manifest-file)

@davilima6 Yes hexagonit.portletstyle is the one we use. I think its still probably worth putting into plone 5.1 even if portlets are going away. It's not nice as a plugin since it as to monkeypatch.

I think this solution is better than the current one since it makes editing the hero-element much easier and fits the other requirements. But I think we have to deploy the option to add hero-element in the same Plone-release.

I tried to do that but got stuck. Can somebody else please contribute the TinyMCE support for setting a 'hero' class on a div?

I agree, this is still in 5.0.2

while we wait.... What about just having a link on the front page with 'remove hero' and then simply rename the front page to 'frontpage' and diazo will no longer insert it ?

Certainly my PR as it stands, even without the Tiny enhancements, is superior to a hack of renaming the page.

1 Like

@gyst, i agree. I also tried to add the "hero" class for a div element to tinyMCE but with no luck. Adding it manually (to the json format configuration at the end of the page) changed nothing in TinyMCE and it was also not exported with GS. Looks like a TinyMCE related bug to me.
So, when your PR is merged, we should not forget to open another ticket to add the missing TinyMCE style.

Maybe this was fixed here? https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/pull/1329/

@davilima6 I guess not. I tried the same thing @thet tried (adding it to the json config) but to no avail, on a source tree that already contained the pull you referenced.

@jensens has just merged my pull requests for this. If anybody feels up to contributing a 'hero' class setter in TinyMCE that would be swell.

1 Like