How do I do updateWidgets of a z3c form in tests?

The behavior works fine on the site, but I'm having trouble in integration tests. I have a simple form class

class EventsFilter(AutoExtensibleForm, form.Form):
    schema = IEventsFilter
    ignoreContext = True

In the test I get the view with zope.component and attempt to update. It fails as a component lookup error on getting the widgets for the schema

view2 = getMultiAdapter((self.portal.calendar.event_collection, self.request), name='events-filter')
        view2.update()

test setup:

class IntegrationTestCase(unittest.TestCase):
    layer = testing.INTEGRATION

def setUp(self):
        super().setUp()
        self.portal = self.layer['portal']
        self.request = self.layer['request']

error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python3.6.7\lib\unittest\case.py", line 59, in testPartExecutor
    yield
  File "C:\Python3.6.7\lib\unittest\case.py", line 605, in run
    testMethod()
  File "c:\plone52\src\ims.portals.foobar\ims\portals\foobar\tests\test_eventviews.py", line 23, in test_calendar_view
    view2.update()
  File "c:\plone52\eggs\plone.z3cform-1.1.3-py3.6.egg\plone\z3cform\fieldsets\extensible.py", line 65, in update
    super(ExtensibleForm, self).update()
  File "c:\plone52\eggs\plone.z3cform-1.1.3-py3.6.egg\plone\z3cform\patch.py", line 30, in GroupForm_update
    _original_GroupForm_update(self)
  File "c:\plone52\eggs\z3c.form-3.7.1-py3.6.egg\z3c\form\group.py", line 132, in update
    self.updateWidgets()
  File "c:\plone52\eggs\z3c.form-3.7.1-py3.6.egg\z3c\form\form.py", line 129, in updateWidgets
    (self, self.request, self.getContent()), interfaces.IWidgets)
  File "c:\plone52\eggs\zope.component-4.6.2-py3.6.egg\zope\component\_api.py", line 104, in getMultiAdapter
    raise ComponentLookupError(objects, interface, name)
zope.interface.interfaces.ComponentLookupError: ((<Products.Five.browser.metaconfigure.EventsFilter object at 0x000002C961E1AF98>, <HTTPRequest, URL=http://nohost>, <Collection at /plone/calen
dar/event_collection>), <InterfaceClass z3c.form.interfaces.IWidgets>, '')

If I simply try to call view() it fails at the same point. Some googling suggests I might need to include plone.app.z3cform but I am not sure where, or if that's out dated. This is in Plone 5.2

Are you sure that is a "functional test" and not an "integration test"?

I did mean integration test, sorry. The original shows that it is using the plone integration test layer.

call you the parent classes in your update method?

from plone.autoform.form import AutoExtensibleForm
from z3c.form.form import Form

class EventsFilterForm(AutoExtensibleForm, Form):

schema = IEventsFilterForm
    ignoreContext = True

def update(self):
        super(EventsFilterForm, self).update()

It does not rewrite the super classes' update method at all.

Maybe the test setup of plone.app.z3cform provides a good example on how to add it to the test layer? Like