GSoC 2022 brainstorming

Make Plone a CalDAV server.

2 Likes

did @pbauer ever read this? :joy:

1 Like

much snap, many import-export, such migrated, wow done!

2 Likes

Or allow Plone to be the authentication mechanism for other applications. I'm thinking in terms of organizations for whom Plone is the central application, but may have other applications that are secondary (but standalone) that already use OAuth, SAML, etc. to authenticate. For those organizations, letting Plone be the central authentication authority would be a big bonus because it would make it easier for them to authenticate other services (e.g., Rocket.chat, Zulip, etc.) without going to another authority.

Hello people!

I have gathered the different ideas that have been proposed up to now in a spreadsheet:

Note: as I know you all love games and puzzles, here is one: read carefully this spreadsheet, a Plonista posted the majority of the ideas, will you be able to identify this person? :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven't applied any kind of filtering, I just took everything we had, we will wonder later if they are applicable in a GSoC context or not.

And if you have more ideas, please, post them here!

2 Likes

We should identify what Plone makes an "enterprise CMS" and bring these capabilities back in Plone 6.
This is clearly not a recycle bin or some similar toy.

Plone lacks decent capabilities in

• decent OAuth support out of the box for all major providers (Google, Azure etc.)
  • strong and customizable password policies (a password length of 5 chars out of the box is a joke)
  • better user management (at least I should be possible to lock accounts
  • better tracking of user activity for better site protection (e.g. automatically lock accounts after N failed login tries)
  • support for 2FA (is there a generic approach or some standard available?)
  • 2FA login support using security devices (Yubi key or so)
8 Likes

dm.saml2 (and therefore collective.saml2) already supports this. We've even had one plone site being auth provider for another plone site.
But one thing collective.saml2 does need is a nice plone control panel that lets you setup these configurations easily.

1 Like

I am seeing an astounding number of integrations in Zapier. It makes me think that any new hip service needs to be represented in this ecosystem.

Hi people!

We have collected a nice list of project ideas so far GSoC 2022 - Google Tabellen, thank you for that! (you can still propose ideas though, it is never too late for good ideas :slight_smile: )

Now we need mentors!

If one of the ideas here looks interesting to you, please consider being a mentor for it. Just add your name on the corresponding row in the spreadsheet (and if you are several mentors on the same idea, that's fine).

If you have never been a GSoC mentor before, be aware it is not a huge workload and it is very rewarding.

Thank you!

What are the deadlines?

By next Monday, we are meant to meant to confirm our application to GSoC.
They do not expect us to provide mentor names at that time, we are just supposed to tell how many mentors we will have.

I know a week is a bit short, so the idea is to just propose a number (4 mentors seems like a reasonable number) and find later who will actually do it.

Nevertheless, in March, students will start candidating. So:

• it is preferable if actual mentors can provide a decent description of what is expected
  • it is also better if we can just remove from the project idea list all ideas that nobody is willing to mentor (less work, and less noise for the candidate)

So even if we do not have a hard deadline yet to provide mentors, I would say that now is the perfect time :slight_smile:

Here is the official schedule by the way: Google Summer of Code 2022 Timeline  |  Google Developers

I propose to add WebAuthn support for Plone.

WebAuthn would allows us to support passwordless authentication to Plone using either external hardware keys like a Yubi key or using biometric methods build-in into our own devices like Face ID or Touch ID. Almost all modern browsers support the W3C standard WebAuthn. There are variations on the level of support for build-in biometric methods. On Mac, you can use Touch ID with Chrome and Safari, but not with Firefox. On iOS, you can use Face ID across browsers (ok, it's always Apple's own webkit engine).

I am currently unsure how things would work in the context of Plone as headless CMS via plone.restapi, and/or Volto...a concept for this must be discussed.

Enough said...I would like to mentor this project.

6 Likes

Great! :blush:

I put my name down for 3 items: the recycle bin, themes, export and import improvements. @djay you had some nice ideas: don’t you have time to mentor?

1 Like

Maybe @abl123 or @abosio could have a look at GSoC 2022 - Google Tabellen

Thank you @tkimnguyen !

Just my personal opinion, but I think the Zapier add-on idea is very good, it could be super useful in many cases and, technically, it is definitely approachable in a GSoC context.

Anybody willing to mentor it?

I like the idea of adding more TTW capabilities to Volto. Currently, we lack many of them in controlpanels. I will be happy to be a secondary mentor for it.

3 Likes

Thank you @nileshgulia1 :slight_smile: