GSoC 2019 idea: GatsbyJS preview for Plone

https://plone.org/community/gsoc/submit-gsoc-project-idea/d2c/gatsbyjs-preview-for-plone @datakurre

1 Like

@tisto @sneridagh @ajayns @cekk Ping. This is not the easiest possible GatsbyJS GSOC topic, so please, if you have other GatsbyJS ideas on the base of your experiences, don’t be silent :slight_smile: That said, I stand by this, because even this is not trivial, it is possible (and probably surprisingly few lines of code at the end).

Obviously I can only mentor one student by myself, but it would not hurt to have multiple ideas to get the best possible students to apply for us.

1 Like

Interesting topic! @sneridagh and I discussed yesterday if it would be possible to embed the Volto/Pastanaga UI editor in Gatsby that writes back to Plone and then triggers a rebuild of Gatsby. That might not be trivial though. Would you (and maybe @cekk @ajayns) available for a call today or tomorrow to discuss this?

1 Like

I’m only available in the evening.

I would be very careful with embedding editor. Before that I would just add login support, show edit links for logged-in users and redirect them to Plone for edit. If instant preview works out, you could serve “gatsby develop” for editors, let them see changes immediately and then add the big green button to Plone for triggering the real static site build. That would also give implicit drafting / working copy.

@datakurre Hello mentor , I am interested to work on this Idea in GSOC 2019. I have read the docs of gatsbyJS and I am currently reading the docs of Plone/Volto . I have also read the Plone official documentation on docs.plone.org

ops..i missed this message :frowning_face:
Have you decided something? Btw i agree with Asko

Hey!

So sorry, was pretty caught up with things in college so I didn't see the message earlier.
I already had this idea on maybe having a UI editor as well in a Gatsby based site to combine the power of Volto with a super-fast, light site generator like Gatsby. But having explored Gatsby a bit further I'm kinda thinking of this whole idea more involving the deployment side ie, for instance configuring Netlify or some webhook to do a re-build every time some data is submitted or so. Forgive if I'm getting the wrong idea, please do clarify if you meant something different @tisto

Also, I just went through Asko's proposal and it seems like an amazing feature to have while it would need some research and time for a good implementation.

If instant preview works out, you could serve “gatsby develop” for editors, let them see changes immediately and then add the big green button to Plone for triggering the real static site build. That would also give implicit drafting / working copy.

About the plugin detecting changes and triggering a rebuild, this project also could help.

A wee bit caught up due to things in college, but I'll try my best to be up to date and hopefully join in a scheduled call if possible.

1 Like