GSoC 2019 Brainstorming

Just got off a conference call with opensource.org OSI affiliates, and they used Jitsi https://jitsi.org/ and it made me think: why not try to integrate some chat or conferencing packages with Plone? Intranets (any team folder, really, e.g. department, project group) would benefit from integrations with these. Plone.org has that lovely Gitter chat sidecar (not really an integration). For public corporate sites, there are sometimes calls for inbound chat to contact someone like a help desk or sales.

Continuing with the idea of collaboration tool integration with Plone, I know it's not open source but Google Docs or Etherpads are often fast/easy ways to be able to do live edits with a group of people. Being able to embed them in a Plone site could be good.

Another collaboration tool to integrate could be https://rocket.chat/

Slack too, since Rocket is a clone of it. I prefer Zulip to both of those. So: some kind of chat integration. I wonder if there is a pluggable way to build that. I can almost hear @jcbrand yelling “yeah, XMPP, you know?”

You can lough at my idea but wanna share a bit :). An idea could be rendering z3c forms based on json/ dictionary schema file. Then store data in a object field in dexterity content.
Another idea is rendering z3c forms based on google sheet, so forms schema can be written in google sheet xls then plone automatically renders a z3c form using google api to link with the google sheet and parse it. Later data can also be saved in plone zodb or it can also be saved in another google sheet or mysql or whatever database using API.
Thanks

1 Like

That is mind blowing! Can you describe a scenario in which this would be used?

Scenario1: Imagine a client wants to make a survey form using plone and also save data for doing some research. The knowledge client has is spreadsheet, if the addon can provide an example xls which has some example fields and filled with needed columns then reading some documentation client can update the spreadsheet with more survey question and plone can render the form for him which he can share as a link to the users who will fill data.
Scenario 2:
Developer need to make some forms for a client and some specification can be done in detail by client in google spreadsheet directly which is easier for doing collaborative work with client and easier for client to change input while developing a system.
Scenario 3:
Json or dictionary type schema can be used cross system. For example the backoffice system using plone for data entry. But json schema can be used by angular or react based front ends which can use rest API for some data entered by end user or field users from home or on the move with mobile APP
These ideas are all hypothetical ideas, did some production implementation but not with all features.

@cewing Would love to contribute to this awesome community. Would be grateful to you, if you filter out the ideas from GSoC'18 which are still under consideration, since many of them might be completed.

@vangheem what about gulltotina, i think guillotina is very good project it should be a part of gsoc and i would like to dedicate my time working on this project this summer.

1 Like

I will post in separate threads the project ideas that have been submitted (two are Guillotina)

2 Likes

For the ones proposing improvements on https://github.com/collective/plone.importexport please first get https://github.com/collective/plone.importexport/pull/19#issuecomment-453449789 working, a working test suite is a must and a prior condition to be able to add anything on top, and even more so if you are asking a GSOC student to make contributions.

1 Like

Currently, I'm seeking a means of building out the concept of Plone As a Service (PAaS), which is basically SAaS. I like the Volto, Gasby and other approaches the community is taking, and I wish to assist in the development of those. However, I still have on my backend hat. Therefore, I focus on the backend topics until another time.

Ideas:

There are other more useful ones, but honestly, it's a lot of work to write out them when I have a lot of work to do.

1 Like

You might want to ask Alan Runyan at Enfold Systems if he'd be willing to give you access to his Ploud code (Plone in the cloud).

In a way, anyone running more than a couple of Plone sites probably already has their own PaaS, though probably not as automated as you might need if you wanted to open it up to the public. e.g. any Plone installation lets you create as many Plone sites as you want, but then you have to add registration, billing, quotas, monitoring.

Plone.io would be PaaS as a headless CMS backend, plus a nice UI and content for helping devs create and deploy a modern JS frontend with it.

1 Like

@inviciblycool, By the end of next week, we will have an official list of ideas for the 2019 season of the GSoC. I leave the full list of ideas for all previous years up so that we have a history of what has been proposed.

Thanks for you interest, and we are happy to have you here!

Jeez, @b4oshany. I don't know. Only five well-thought-out proposals? Clearly you are slacking off!

Seriously though, these all look terrific to me. Any thoughts on who might be good mentors for any of them? I assume you are ready to step up yourself. Mind if I list any of these on the plone.org ideas page with your name attached?

Alright Plonistas!

February 1 has arrived (mostly). I am seriously impressed with the work done here. I have nine solid proposals submitted and 12 folks who've responded with interest in mentoring. Once again, you all have risen to the occasion and done some terrific work.

I'll work on transferring the submitted ideas to our plone.org ideas page and get our org application submitted. Onward to GSoC 2019!!!

c

Well, yes, I'm avialable to mentor two of those projects. Also, I do have thought about who might best fit those projects as mentors. I'll see if I can reach out to them soon.

Sir ,it was actually quite complicated to understand the process of Idea submission. Is it that mentors will submit the ideas?Actually I am an aspirant for GSoc-19 with plone because it is the only organisation with all the technologies listed that I know. So what should be my tasks to do.Can you please help me out.
Sorry if this thread was not the right place to ask.

No problem, @AnweshDas! Yes, this thread is for brainstorming ideas, but it's not only for mentors. It's for anyone who wants to suggest and help flesh out ideas.

@AnweshDas, the Google Summer of Code application process for organizations requires us to have lists of ideas that we offer as suggested projects for potential students. This page is about discussing those ideas. We are also very happy to discuss ideas for projects that you might have. It is a very good idea to discuss your own project ideas with members of the community, both to get a sense of whether the idea is possible, and to build support for it among possible mentors.

If you have ideas for projects that you'd like to see, please feel free to post them here. I'm sure other community members will be happy to help you shape your ideas.

Welcome to Plone!