GSoC 2018 Ideas: SiteImprove plugin

There are three kind of ways to do descriptions in search results.

1. user entered description (plone default)
  2. auto generated from the content (e.g. first paragraph of html or pdf. I've implimented this but its a pain as you have to override the whole search page)
  3. google style where it pulls out relevant sentences where keywords appear in the text. (plone internal textindex can't do this. elasticsearch can. Plone doesn't have a nice way to integrate with this).

Anyway, this is nothing to do with content quality plugins.

I think what Sally meant was:

• the optional text that appears in Plone's Dublin Core metadata field called Description (or Summary)
  • versus the description of the content item that appears in the HTML meta tag

e.g. on https://plone.org/news/2018/plone-5-1-has-been-released the description of the news item is "Improved speed, reliability, and configurability" but if you look at the page's HTML source it has this meta tag near the top of the page: <meta name="description" content="" />

I think we should leave out this part about description vs meta tag and elastic search, and auto-generated summaries :slight_smile:

1 Like

It's a long story... You'd have to look at this documentation https://docs.plone.org/develop/addons/index.html but probably best (though lengthy) to look at Mastering Plone 6 Development — Plone Training 2022 2022 documentation

Basically you edit buildout.cfg, add the package name to the eggs variable, add the src/package directory name to the develop variable and that assumes you've put your package into the Plone/zinstance/src directory (and you've created it with something like mr.bob).

Yeah I actually looked in the documentation and got the concept but anyway thanks for the response.

I have uploaded a draft please review and any kind of criticism is welcome. Sorry for the delay.
Please help me with the directions so that I can complete the project easily and correctly.
@loechel @cewing @djay @sally @tkimnguyen

I have submitted a proposal and now I think this is the best time to solve some issues and get more information about plone. Can you guys like refer me some of the issues which are of beginner level and would help me to understand the plone. Simultaneously I would try to go through the part of plone training which I haven't completed yet. @tkimnguyen @cewing @djay