GSoC 2018 Ideas: Fix Plone's Toolbar

This is one post in a series to begin focused discussion about ideas that came out of our 2018 GSoC Brainstorm.

Please use this post as a place to begin to discuss this idea more in depth.

It was proposed by @hvelarde who is also willing to serve as a mentor for it.

The project description:

Fix all issues related with the toolbar regressions

Go for it, community! Make this one shine!

2 Likes

@hvelarde, would you be able to start specifying more clearly what you meant with this idea? I know you've got strong and well-founded opinions on this topic. Let's get some "on paper" and see if we can attract more attention to this idea.

I'm a little busy until the end of the year; there are many open issues on the toolbar but we can probably start planning on the future: what about designing a new horizontal toolbar for global actions and a framework to create/enable a contextual vertical toolbar for local actions.

that's the way I always thought it had to be done, and that's what it seems @vangheem finally implemented on CastleCMS.

If it exists that way in CastleCMS, is that code that could be back-ported to Plone?

I have no idea, but I doubt it; you better ask @vangheem.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Nathan doesn't work on CastleCMS anymore; if you need to tag anyone, please tag me, @kleier, or @kyleArthurs

I looked at the GitHub issue ... I don't know that CastleCMS's toolbars addresses them but there are definitely two toolbars: a top one that holds "global" actions and the left one that is specific to the object you are viewing or working on.

The two toolbars, at top and left

The top toolbar contains

• the breadcrumbs (because breadcrumbs are an optional tile fragment that you choose to place or not place in a particular Mosaic layout)
  • Notifications menu showing you all messages that Castle showed you during the current session
  • Site menu
  • Personal menu

The left toolbar is flat; there are no submenus, and it gets much simplified when you're in the folder contents view.