A client of mine has trainings and courses on their website Aus- und Weiterbildungen — Reformierte Kirche Kanton Zürich
Lately we found out that Google isn't indexing them as one would expect.
- Courses for 2021 don't show up at all (only if you add 2021 in the search)
- Courses put to private, still show up pointing to the login
- Courses that are long over show up before the new ones, that are open for registration
- Courses that happen more than once a year and have multiple content items show up only once
Example search terms I tested:
- Sprechen und Auftreten im Gottesdienst
- Facebook in der Praxis (+ Kirche)
- ZMS für Einsteigende
- Sozialberatung in Ihrer Kirchgemeinde (some corrections have been tried on this one)
I checked the content items and the dates format and similar seem correct.
The sitemap registered and updated with Google only shows courses that are not expired.
PDFs and other material located inside those older courses are still published within the sitemap.
Maybe it would help to not list those outdated PDFs if the related event ist already expired?
If a content item is not available for the public anymore, should the login page return a 404 instead of some 3xx?
What would be best practices to improve the indexing with Google?
Which changes would make the biggest impact?
Things I could improve with those content types or for Plone in general?