Future of Mosaic

hey @rileydog Good question.

I believe that Plone IS a Content Management System. I think it's hard to say it's not.

My previous post

was a poor and immature attempt to shine a light on what I think is a bad conversation and a bad direction - arguing "what a CMS is and who is/is not in this category - because WE surely are!" I was a forum troll in a past life.

What's more important - and seems to be better suited for the "Repositioning Plone" thread Repositioning Plone - #3 by pigeonflight is to remove ourselves from preconceived categories, especially super ambiguous and downright dogmatic categories (like CMS) and really see what the value of Plone is. Once we begin saying that we compete in a CMS space, we can fall victim to Wordpress, Drupal, Django, and Wix that have more power to define what the requirements are to be a good CMS.

Now we are in the following instead of leading position.

Don't get me wrong, I want Wordpress ease for add-ons, the user interface of Wix or Squarespace, and the Security of Plone. But I'm not going to chase the word "CMS". I want to define it.

Additionally:

Pastanaga on React is a reality. The only reason why we can't push a demo site is that our current code base contains customer-specific code (in an internal repo). We are working on pushing everything we have upstream. We plan to have something ready before GSoC 2018 starts...

1 Like

Yes, I had already seen your post about this internal plone-react repo, it's just that I did not see the relationship between pastanaga and plone-react until today. And if you can't publish it today, it's not yet ready...

I searched the plone.restapi issues, noticed this one still open:

Tiles / Mosaic #350

it's a bit difficult to square this issue with the fact that you tested the Mosaic editor with Pastanaga, that is, using plone-restapi. Private customer-only repositories are all right with BSD or Apache licensed code but tend to be frowned upon in the GPL world.
On a practical point of view I noticed one or two glaring problems with plone.restapi and plone 5.1-pending but if you have a (better) private plone.restapi I may waste my time trying to find fixes.

It's not much, but https://plone.io and https://demo.plone.io are online. We started them at PLOG 2017 and @ebrehault has continued to push it, partly at 2017.ploneconf.org and since.

What was the customer's specific issues with it?

That's information, it's good to have it.
but yes, in fact plone.io is more about making promises than showing new features. About demo.plone.io, maybe with a login it could be possible to see interesting features but without one angular-plone is definitely not worth the bother !

I'm surprised on plone.io by
"SaaS
We are still in beta, our commercial offer will be published soon"
A commercial offer ? by the Plone foundation ?

Yes, that is a way we thought of to try to raise funds for the PF. But we haven't made enough progress so far to make it public.

Gee how kind :slight_smile: It's worth focusing on the fact that it is a working Plone + Angular. Help is welcome!

the site is nothing else than a login page, it's a very nice login page, though.

Yes I noticed that Plone Jquery is stuck at 1.11 while official 1.x version is at 1.12 but there are 'breaking' changes in 1.12 since they are ditching IE 8 support (and IE 8 support was the whole purpose of the 1.x branch), the current version of JQuery is 3.x I think. It's not really possible to wait in the bright Javascript world. Maybe at the time Angular will reach 300K major versions per second, singularity will happen and we will all be at peace.

@gp54321 as said, we cannot publish our code because it contains customer-specific code, not because it is not shippable. Maybe this is a language problem here but it seems you want to miss the point. Same is true for GPL. You obviously lack a very basic understanding of the GPL.

Just wondering where we are at with the future of mosaic now?
I'm uncertain if I will incuring a large technical dept by including mosaic in my new sites.

In the 6 months since the above conversation, which is now more likely?

Mosaic will be:
a) replaced by plone angular/react/next-big-thing? (if so when? and what will be the backwards compatibility implications?)
b) mosaic fixed enough to go into the core? (new jquery. Using BS etc)
c) replaced with another open source editor? (surely there is a popular one by now which fits closely enough to replace mosaic?)