Feedback on Plone 5 Pre-Release Versions

When I deactivate the default theme, The edit-bar still there on the public front page. I believe it shouldn't be there. . Submitted the issue at https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/471

Issue tickets should go to the github issue tracker for CMFPlone.

Is it intentional that the new Plone 5 toolbar does not visually show the currently active mode on the current content object like the old tabbed green bar did? I mean the modes like "Contents", "View", "Edit" or "Sharing"? That change has made me to feel a bit lost in Plone 5.

Yes, that needs to be fixed.

Is there already an open issue for this at github issue tracker?

https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues/490

What do you think, should content action be always available? E.g. so that when you are on a non-folderish page, the content action would show contents for its parent folder? Or would it be confusing?

The only folderish content type within the default content types is Folder. Now, when I'm on a page and would like to add another page into the same fodler, I have to click twice: once for the correct breadcrumb to get to the parent folder and only then I can add the page.

Also, I wonder, why this didn't feel like an issue in Plone 4... maybe I've just been too familiar to its UI.

I'm new to Plone, although I've been lurking for years. I'd like to start with Plone 5, since it promises some features I will need, to re-build some Drupal and other PHP CMS sites that keep getting hacked. My hosting provider is Dreamhost, and they seem to have the needed system files installed. My environment is a home directory, call it /abc, under which are subdirectories for each domain and its site, say /abc/xyz for http://xyz. I have ssh access to both levels, and would like to install a website for xyz in its directory. However, the installation instructions I have been able to find are for Plone 4, and I need the URL(s) from which to download the installation files using wget, and instructions on where to run them to get the site installed at /abc/xyz, which would be re-run for each of several other domains with their own subdirectories. This is a noob question, but I would appreciate a simple answer (and you might want to make the answer easy to find on the plone.org site).

I am an old python programmer, so might be able to contribute bug fixes if I have time, but I need better guidance for the plone environment.

Hi and thanks for your question. We do have a beta installer for Plone 5. Please keep in mind that as a beta version, it is constantly updated. Your feedback is welcome and we'd be grateful for any bug fixes!

Just visit the release page and copy the link to the Unified Installer. Then you may download via wget and unpack it. Read the README.txt for detailed instructions. If you really have all the dependencies installed, it will be as simple as running install.sh.

Okay. I found that. But where does one unpack and run the tgz file? In the directory for the site, or elsewhere? Does the installer offer to allow the user to designate the installation directory for the new site? I don't want to have to learn 'that by trial and error, especially if I have to create a new sql database I will just have to discard if I've made a mistake. If the password can be used only once, is that just for the first site, or for all sites of a multi-site system using the same installer repeatedly? I have about 20 sites I would like to create on the same server. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the link, but that seems to assume the user has root and access to directories outside his home directory. I am an ordinary user with access only to my home directory and subdirectories where sites will reside. Apache will already direct visitors to http://domain.com to the ~/home/domain.com subdirectory and whatever site I've installed there. It is a virtual environment such that I share the server with other users, and there is only one CPU and RAM we all share. If a plone site uses too many resources I will be asked to remove it.

And are there one or more themes that are adapted to use by mobile devices, to satisfy Google's requirements to rank sites differently depending on how mobile-friendly they are? Which one is best for that purpose?

Further, can I install a plone site into a directory that already has the files for a site in it, or do I have to put it in a subdirectory and have the .htaccess file redirect visitors to it?

Plone is not like php. Plone runs as an application server.

Running locally requires no apache, nginx or whatever. When you deploy to a production server, you'll likely put apache or nginx in front to proxy to the plone application server.

http://docs.plone.org/manage/deploying/index.html might be useful.

Hi,

we started this week using plone 5 (b2) as some kind of intranet solution - and notices some "stuff". I looked around and found already some bugs for it, or already added some. The other points from the list below i am not clear if this is bug or feature. So maybe someone can give me some hints, if they are bugs (then I am willing to fill out some tickets) or features. It would be also great to point me to the right tracker: does the "layout" stuff belongs to the barceloneta repository or do I put them all into Products.CMFPlone? Here is the list:

Confirmed Bugs:

Bug or Feature?:

• Quicksearch fires on 4th character: is it possible to set it to 3?

• Quicksearch result layout broken (container box too small)

• Indentation for navigation portlet: only the first sublevel works and is rather big (will often cause linebreaks)

• Roboto font as default body font is rather "fat" - standard content looks like bold one. Using Helvetica looks better proportioned (but if roboto is used in a table it looks good (cause of font-weight: 300))

• Enabling some more TinyMCE plugins doesnt effect the edit gui, for example color picker, emoticons, fullscreen...

• TinyMCE: setting header and block styles needs lots of clicks

• Managing Porlets only for Managers (dont know if this was able in Plone4 for editors)

• How to customize Footer portlets? (are they really classic ones?)

Bugs:

• theming-controlpanel -> copy of barceloneta -> enter name and activate "activate" -> theme is not activated. even via "activate" click on the new theme it gets not activated.

• plone.app.ldap gui broken: https://github.com/plone/plone.app.ldap/issues/24

Thanks, Jörg

Is there a way to save straight back to a development theme after making a change in the chrome dev tools? If that's at all possible it would be a KILLER feature.

I recently started using Plone CMS. Plone 5 is nice version with good speed and scalability. I am new to Plone CMS can anybody guide me good themes for this? For example themeforest is good option for anykind CMS themes (WordPress, Joomla, Magneto etc.), I want to know if Plone themes are available in such way.

I don't think we have anything integrated into say the theming control panel yet. If you're looking for a nice collection of Plone themes you can try with a few clicks this is very impressive: https://twitter.com/tkimnguyen/status/626081799567872000

can we change or better.. remove
collective.z3cform.datagridfield = 0.11
in versions.cfg

When object is in State: Pending Review (yellow color) then the state text in the toolbar is invisible. It becomes visible when hovering cursor over toolbar state entry/icon.

Version Overview:
UBUNTU 14.04 LTS
Plone 5.0b4 (5007)
CMF 2.2.8
Zope 2.13.22
Python 2.7.6 (default, Jun 22 2015, 18:00:18) [GCC 4.8.2]
PIL 2.7.0 (Pillow)

The button labeled Browse in the Upload function in the folder content view does not activate the opening of a browser window to select one or more files for uploading into Plone.
You need to click outside the button label area, but within the zone labeled ***Drop files here..***.
This is confusing specifically for a first time user.
The multiple file upload works in Firefox and Chrome, (but not in Internet Explorer: that seems to be intended if I remember it correctly)

Version Overview:
UBUNTU 14.04 LTS
Plone 5.0b4 (5007)
CMF 2.2.8
Zope 2.13.22
Python 2.7.6 (default, Jun 22 2015, 18:00:18) [GCC 4.8.2]
PIL 2.7.0 (Pillow)

Discussions / Q&A are welcome in this forum but if you want to ensure that a bug gets fixed, please file tickets here: https://github.com/plone/Products.CMFPlone/issues