Error while running "make install" command

I am trying to create a project using Plone 6 by following the tutorial Create a project – Install — Plone Documentation v6.0. While running make install in the project directory, I am facing the following error.

+ echo '==> Setup Build'
==> Setup Build
+ bin/mxdev -c mx.ini
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/shruti/lms/academia/backend/bin/mxdev", line 5, in <module>
    from mxdev.main import main
  File "/home/shruti/lms/academia/backend/lib64/python3.12/site-packages/mxdev/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
    from .config import Configuration  # noqa
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/home/shruti/lms/academia/backend/lib64/python3.12/site-packages/mxdev/config.py", line 5, in <module>
    import pkg_resources
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'pkg_resources'
make[2]: *** [Makefile:112: build-dev] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/shruti/lms/academia/backend'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:46: install-backend] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/shruti/lms/academia'
make: *** [Makefile:63: install] Error 2

Can someone help me out with this? Thanks a lot!

please make sure, before installing make tool. you should have python and pip install correctly . just try this one and let me know!

Earlier, I tried using Python 3.12.02 which didn't work, but it worked fine with Python 3.11. Thanks! :v:

good to know

Python 3.12 removed the deprecated pkg_resources from being installed when creating a virtual environment. mxdev needs to migrate.

I filed an issue in mxdev.

Plone 6.0.10 added support for Python 3.12, but this installation tool has not yet been adapted for it.

3 Likes

I fixed this in mxdev 4.0.2

3 Likes

I guess in that case we need to update the mxdev version used by Plone 6 backend. Since, the constraints-mxdev.txt file for my Plone 6.0.10 project is still pointing to mxdev 3.1.0.

1 Like

Issue created: Need to update mxdev in `constraints.txt` to latest release · Issue #3925 · plone/Products.CMFPlone · GitHub.

Hopefully the magical release fairy can wave their wand and make a quick release. @mauritsvanrees

3 Likes

Thank you for creating the issue! @stevepiercy.

I have updated the mxdev version to 4.0.2 in https://dist.plone.org/release/6.0-dev/ and https://dist.plone.org/release/6.1-dev/.
That should at least help for development projects that already use constraints from one of those directories.

For other projects I wonder if a new release of Plone would help. But in such a project you would then need to manually update the version from 6.0.10.1 to 6.0.10.2. If you can do that, you can probably update the mxdev version instead, making a Plone release not needed. So at this moment I think a new release, including Docker images, would not be needed.

4 Likes