Error setting up Plone Theme Package Development Environment

As far as I can tell, TTW customizing of Plone themes is not currently possible due to the LESS builder not working. ( Plone 5.1.6: Bundle Builder hangs forever ). This seems to also affect Plone 5.2, and while the Bundle Builder shows a complete status if you use Chrome, the LESS builder within the "Modify Theme" panel still hangs forever.

After trying several workarounds with no success, I've started attempting to follow the instructions for building a theme package instead, found here:

Theme Package I: Preparations

I'm running into a roadblock running ./bin/buildout under the section, "Install zc.buildout And Bootstrap Your Development Environment". The following errors are produced:

While:
Installing instance.

An internal error occurred due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/admin_ika/buildoutenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 1995, in main
getattr(buildout, command)(args)
File "/home/admin_ika/buildoutenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 666, in install
installed_files = self[part]._call(recipe.install)
File "/home/admin_ika/buildoutenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zc/buildout/buildout.py", line 1410, in _call
return f()
File "/home/admin_ika/buildoutenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/plone/recipe/zope2instance/init.py", line 95, in install
major, minor = parsed[0:2]
TypeError: 'Version' object has no attribute 'getitem'

Any ideas on how to get around that?

This process is extremely disheartening. :frowning: