Error installing 5.1.2 on macOS 10.14

Hi,
I'm new to Plone, I'd really use some help. I'm having problems with it's installation. My knowledge about Terminal is very small, and i've been just copy-pasting the commands without really knowing what they do.
I've been using Unified Installer on MacOS Mojave.
That said, I'll write what my error is and install.log looks like.
Error:
-UnifiedInstaller/install.log
Installing Plone 5.1.2 at /Applications/Plone

Creating Python virtual environment.
New python executable in /Applications/Plone/zinstance/bin/python
Installing setuptools, pip, wheel...done.
Installing setuptools in virtual environment.
Installing zc.buildout in virtual environment.
Unpacking buildout cache to /Applications/Plone/buildout-cache
Copying buildout skeleton
Building Zope/Plone; this takes a while...
Buildout returned an error code: 1; Aborting.
Buildout failed. Unable to continue

Installation has failed.

Install.log is uploaded here: https://gist.github.com/shinedesign/04585fafdd4af37553673ad24128d986

I've tried those solutions: Error installing 5.0.8-r1 on macOS 10.13 but didn't work for me.

Thanks in advance,
Vladimir

1 Like

Hey Vladimir,

this is the error you need to concentrate on, it shouldn't be too difficult.

cheers,
Daniel

The headers or library files could not be found for zlib,
a required dependency when compiling Pillow from source.

Please see the install instructions at:
Installation - Pillow (PIL Fork) 10.2.0.dev0 documentation

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
thanks for your reply. I managed to install pillow, but I'm still getting the same error message:

Building Zope/Plone; this takes a while...
Buildout returned an error code: 1; Aborting.
Buildout failed. Unable to continue

Installation has failed.

Also, I've uploaded new installation.log file: https://gist.github.com/shinedesign/49c81b9a63a90187fccb2b5c27c519f5

Thanks

Off-topic: you can use https://gist.github.com/ to create secret gists and share here the link. It's useful for log errors.

1 Like

thanks @GhitaB. I will use it from now on.

1 Like

My method:

• search in your log the term "error" and look for most relevant one (where the installation fails)
  • It seems to be this one:
File "/var/folders/bn/gf3rvcx56pj3vtpkwxs6rr840000gn/T/easy_install-y4tA0H/Pillow-5.1.0/setup.py", line 806, in <module>
setuptools.sandbox.UnpickleableException: RequiredDependencyException('\n\nThe headers or library files could not be found for zlib,\na required dependency when compiling Pillow from source.\n\nPlease see the install instructions at:\n   https://pillow.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html\n\n',)
An error occurred when trying to install /Users/vladimir/Plone/buildout-cache/downloads/dist/Pillow-5.1.0.tar.gz. Look above this message for any errors that were output by easy_install.
While:
  Installing instance.
  Getting distribution for 'Pillow==5.1.0'.
  • Now, reading the error:

You do not need to install all supported external libraries to use Pillow’s basic features. Zlib and libjpeg are required by default.

Zlib. Great. :smiley:

Once you have installed the prerequisites, run:

OK. So, you should install the prerequisites first. Install Zlib, retry. Install libjpeg, retry. Etc. Install the missing one until it works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

+1 for Ghita's comments. When starting with Plone buildouts - you have to learn which errors are safe to ignore.

A simple approach is:

• when you see "Got " means everything OK so far.
  • So look for the last time it says "Getting " without a matching "Got ..." - that's where you need to start looking for errors

Got BTrees 4.4.1.
Not found: /Users/vladimir/Plone/buildout-cache/downloads/dist/persistent/
Not found: /Users/vladimir/Plone/buildout-cache/downloads/dist/persistent/
Getting distribution for 'persistent==4.2.4.2'.

2 Likes

Thanks @GhitaB @djowett for your patience. I appreciate it.
I think I've installed Pillow and Zlib, but now, It seem there is still problem with Pillow: install3.log · GitHub
I'm getting this error now:

An error occurred when trying to install /Users/vladimir/Plone/buildout-cache/downloads/dist/Pillow-5.1.0.tar.gz. Look above this message for any errors that were output by easy_install.
While:
Installing instance.

An internal error occurred due to a bug in either zc.buildout or in a
recipe being used:

Any ideas how to solve it?

Last Got at line 1433:

The error is after it.

Relevant lines:

The headers or library files could not be found for zlib,
a required dependency when compiling Pillow from source.

Please see the install instructions at:
Installation - Pillow (PIL Fork) 10.2.0.dev0 documentation

RequiredDependencyException('\n\nThe headers or library files could not be found for zlib,\na required dependency when compiling Pillow from source.\n\nPlease see the install instructions at:\n https://pillow.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installation.html\n\n',)

It seems to be the same problem for me: zlib is not installed (in a way your buildout could detect it).

Do you receive something with this command:

$ ldconfig -p | grep Zlib

?

Vladimir,

Since you're using Mojave, check to make sure your XCode kit, including the X-Code Command-Line Tools, is up-to-date. One of the gotchas about using OS X for development is that it's entirely possible for your OS X version to be the latest while your build tools are way out of date.

Steve

@shinedesign This is most likely a Pillow issue of some kind, so please open a Pillow issue if you're still having trouble:

I ended up here because I've got the same issue with Plone 4.3 and Pillow 5.3.0 (on Mojave), however in my case reverting to [versions] Pillow = 5.2.0 seems to get me through the buildout at least. I'm not sure what's going on …

Good luck

I've had the same error on Moave and could fix it with the here mentioned command: https://github.com/python-pillow/Pillow/issues/3438

sudo installer -pkg /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg -target /

Mojave changed the game for developers and they decided to package the XCode provided development headers into a .pkg they ship, but do not install per default.