Criteria for Evaluation of Proposals

Hey @sneridagh, @JeffersonBledsoe, and @nileshgulia1. I am working on the proposal for the project titled: Refactor class components to functional components. I would like to learn more about the evaluation criteria for project proposals. As I prepare my proposal, I want to ensure that it aligns with your expectations and showcases my skills and knowledge relevant to the project. Therefore, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share with me any guidelines or criteria that will be used to evaluate project proposals, specifically for the refactoring of class based components to functional components project.
Thank You

I also want to make a contribution to the same project. For the past 20 days, I have been working on this. I am a full-stack MERN developer with Python and Java skills. If you could let us know the standards for evaluating the proposal and any suggestions you have for making it better, that would be great for us.
This project will teach me a lot, so I really want to contribute.
@JeffersonBledsoe @nileshgulia1 @sneridagh

Speaking as mentor for a different topic:

• your proposal should be outstanding
  • you demonstrate that you did understand the problem(s) to be solved
  • you demonstrate that you have a high-level understanding of the topic
  • you demonstrate how to address potential problems and strategies how to approach them

Formal aspects:

• your proposal contains full contact data, bio, schedule etc.
  • your proposal was written by yourself, with your own words (no ghostwriter, no ChatGPT)
  • proposal with 0,5 to 3 pages are unlikely suitable to counting as a proposal
  • your proposal has a formal structure, is reasonably formatted, is written in a reasonable English

Regarding the "refactor class components" proposal by the other mentors: I see more than 30
proposals for this particular topic. So your proposal must be shiny. You must show that you are competent, have ideas how to solve the topic that are superior over your "competitors".
So this is also some kind of competition with the other aspirants. Providing just basic information and a vague implementation plan is likely not the way to go. Your proposal must be convincing.

For my own GSOC topic, I see 5 submitted proposals. Three of them (in their first version) are basically for the :put_litter_in_its_place: - poorly written, lack of understanding of the topic space, vague and improper information. As a mentor, I gave clear feedback about what I would expect in order to be selected.
As a mentor, I invest my spare time in order to work with an aspirant. I expect that aspirants show their engagement and show their motivation for convincing me why I should work with he/him/it.

4 Likes

It also cleared my understanding as I was also a bit confused about it. But now I would work on improving my proposal keeping in mind the points you mentioned.

I hope it would have cleared the doubts of my plone-mates @kart1ka and @naveen too.

Thanks for your detailed reply @zopyx.

1 Like

@zopyx Thank you for this clear explanation. During the writing and review of the proposal, I will keep this idea in my mind.
If you could just tell me one more thing—since I've been working exclusively on this project for the past 20 days—should I also submit a proposal for other projects.

1 Like

Additionally, you need to understand "getting reviews" from mentors is not a crucial part even from our end. So if one doesn't receive a review, their proposal is already up to the mark.

However, you need to know that the selection process is also based on "slots" that google will allot to particular orgs which intern are based on several criteria which an org needs to fulfil. Thus, Lower the number of slots, lower are one's chances of being selected.

1 Like

The question is: how popular is a certain topic. So, about half of the Plone proposals are for one topic, your chances are low if your proposal is just average. But also the amount of 30+ proposals for one topic make the selection process hard.

1 Like