Buildout pulls in old version of zope2instance

I'm attempting to build a theme for Plone 5.1 on Mac 10.13.6. Whether I use Conda, the built-in Python 2.7 interpreter, in a virtual environment, out of one, using a clean new installation, or freezing the dependencies, I keep having to edit the requirements file:

setuptools==39.1.0
zc.buildout>=2.11.4
pytest-runner
plone.recipe.command
collective.recipe.omelette==0.16
eggtestinfo
Persistence>=3.0a3
Zope2>=4.0a5
Plone==5.1.0
RestrictedPython>=4.0b5
zc.recipe.testrunner==1.2.1
mr.developer>=1.38
zc.recipe.egg==2.0.3
plone.recipe.zope2instance==4.3
plone.recipe.codeanalysis[recommended]==2.2

The original document in the Plone training results in unresolvable compilation errors (see previous thread). After fixing all of the missing dependency problems, I get all the way to the end of the buildout, then run into this problem. It seems easy enough to fix, but something in the buildout is pulling in the Plone==5.1.0 dependency, which then requires the package with that problem. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

You can see that easily via buildout -vvv annotate | less and searching for 5.1.0.

Familiarize yourself with the extends syntax of buildout and follow the trail starting from your buildout.cfg until you see what extends from http://dist.plone.org/release/5.1.0/versions.cfg, where you can see it pins it to 5.1.0. Bump the URL of the config file to the version you seek.

Last defined wins when multiple things set the value for the same key - annotate will tell you the full chain of overrides.

Thank you! I was able to get the add-on to build without compile errors. Now I have a second problem... when I try to boot up the server after building the add-on (I haven't made any modifications, just a plain theme add-on using Plone 5.1), then I get this error:

laptop:my.theme leaderone$ bin/instance fg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "bin/instance", line 40, in <module>
    import plone.recipe.zope2instance.ctl
  File "/Users/leaderone/projects/my-style/plone-addon/buildoutenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/plone/recipe/zope2instance/ctl.py", line 38, in <module>
    if zopectl.WIN:
  File "/Users/leaderone/projects/my-style/plone-addon/buildoutenv/lib/python2.7/site-packages/zope/deferredimport/deferredmodule.py", line 69, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(name)
AttributeError: WIN

I searched Google for that error, but I don't see anything like it. Do you know what might be wrong?

File a bug against plone.recipe.zope2instance - seems someone (ecosystem-wide) has broken Windows support.

I'm not a 100% on where, but some blind assumption of that recipe is now failing deeper in the guts.