Accessing metadata for old plone web pages

Hi Folks,

I am not familiar with navigating a plone website. I need some simple help. I would like to "noindex,nofollow" some pages in the Google SERPs.

Here is an example page - old.ed.psu.edu/dean-lawless/dean-lawless-page

What are the steps to accessing the backend CODE to change the metadata?

EXAMPLE FROM WEB PAGE:

Dean Kimberly A. Lawless — Penn State College of Education

You can do it in the webserver config (Apache2, Nginx) if few pages are involved. For example in Apache2:

https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/a/124971

SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/dirone.* NOINDEXNOFOLLOW
SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/dirtwo.* NOINDEXNOFOLLOW
SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/dirthree.* NOINDEXNOFOLLOW
SetEnvIf Request_URI ^/direfour.* NOINDEXNOFOLLOW
Header set X-Robots-Tag "noindex, nofollow" env=NOINDEXNOFOLLOW

also

<Location /dean-lawless/dean-lawless-page>
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    allow from all
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
        Header set X-Robots-Tag "noindex, nofollow, noarchive"
        <FilesMatch "\.(doc|pdf|png|jpe?g|gif)$">
            Header set X-Robots-Tag "noindex, noarchive, nosnippet"
        </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>
</Location>

should work. You can test it in a test virtualhost and apply the config to the production virtualhost when done. you need to install/enable mod_headers in Apache2 if not installed/enabled.

If you need a Plone solution, you can register a viewlet in the plone header viewlet manager that do:

response.setHeader("X-Robots-Tag", "noindex, nofollow, noarchive")

There are also other methods to do it.

Or simply set the Header in your template:

<tal:_ tal:define="_ python:context.REQUEST.response.setHeader('X-Robots-Tag', 'noindex, nofollow, noarchive')" />

Evtl. with a tal:condition

<div tal:condition="put_your_condition_here">
    <tal:_ tal:define="_ python:context.REQUEST.response.setHeader('X-Robots-Tag', 'noindex, nofollow, noarchive')" />
</div>

Hey Folks,

This was a great holiday gift. Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. I'm a WordPress/Drupal/Wix guy. I have no clue how to get to the code for a Plone webpage.

Can any of you help me with step-by-step access to the code? I really have no clue and need baby steps here. Thanks!

The easiest way is to go to yoursite@@site-controlpanel and modify the robots.txt as per The Web Robots Pages.

The Plone/castleCMS has an option in the properties/settings of each content type for this but it is not part of the default install. Not sure what add on they use for that