Collective.cover finally gains support for Plone 5.1

We are pleased to announce the availability of collective.cover 2.0b1, the first release compatible with both, Plone 4.3 and Plone 5.1.

It has being a long journey since we started working on this years ago, and I have to say that the process was very difficult and caused some pain, but we have learn a lot.

If you are upgrading from a previous version of collective.cover, you must add the [relations] extra; please read carefully the documentation to avoid surprises.

collective.cover is pretty stable and it has being used for over 5 years in sites as important as the Presidency of Brazil and the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics.

There are still some usability issues and limitations that we are going to tackle in the near future.

More information can be found here:

What's next?

In the following months we are going to continue the work on the following fronts:

• process all static resources with webpack to make maintenance smoother
  • avoid registering static resources on registries of both Plone versions (everybody knows I have a strong opinion on that and I want to test an idea to make upgrades easier)
  • completely refactor the UI using Vue.js
  • removal of dependency on Bootstrap and usage of CSS Grid Layout
  • use Swiper on the carousel tile
  • continue working on other enhancements, bug fixes and clean ups

Please give it a try: all feedback and help is welcome.

Share and enjoy!

PS: Are you using collective.cover somewhere? We want to know.

2 Likes

Hi! The demo on Heroku does not work in this moment.

Which demo, one specific to cover or the one on Plone.org/download?

Demo

For impatient types, there is a demo installation of collective.cover on Heroku. It needs about 60 seconds to spin up and it will purge all changes after about an hour of non-usage.

I'm sorry about it; that's Nejc's son and I never used it:

I have no time to learn about it and fix it at the moment; I opened an issue asking for help.

I have updated the list of things to do on upcoming versions of the package to include: removal of dependency on Bootstrap and usage of CSS Grid Layout.